Export thread

Replace needle and seat??

R

Rls8836

Sorry don’t where to post this so I’m asking here. How do you remove the seat in a carburetor to replace with a new needle and seat on my carburetor. This is a 5.5 horsepower motor on my granddaughters goKart. It’s not a Briggs and Stratton but resembles one. Someone told me it might be a predator engine. I’ve never removed the seat in a carburetor and want to know the way to do it. Thankyou in advance

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

If it's a predator, it may not have a removable seat, or it may have a brass seat. some engines use a all metal needle and rubber seat, some use a metal needle with a rubber (viton) tip with a brass seat.
We'll need more information to give you any exact procedures or proper repair parts

R

Rls8836

If it's a predator, it may not have a removable seat, or it may have a brass seat. some engines use a all metal needle and rubber seat, some use a metal needle with a rubber (viton) tip with a brass seat.
We'll need more information to give you any exact procedures or proper repair parts
Ok tomorrow I’ll go look at the engine, what info you need

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Ok tomorrow I’ll go look at the engine, what info you need
If you can find it, a model number. IF it's a briggs and stratton, it will be stamped into the valve cover, if it's a predator or "Honda clone" motor, there should be some numbers stamped into the back of the block.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Pictures could be helpful too.

B

Bertrrr

Remove the carb, turn upside down and blow into the fuel port , if you can't blow through it the needle and seat are ok, When you turn it right side up you should be able to blow through it , this will eliminate the needle / seat or tell if they're bad

StarTech

StarTech

Just blowing in without using a pressure gauge is just about as useful as tits on a boar hog. I use a tester and do a 30 min leak down to verify that the float needle valve and seat are sealing.

B

Bertrrr

I've done it lots of times it's a good initial test - never went any further with pressure gauges etc. but sure it's a more accurate test.

StarTech

StarTech

Personally I don't like the taste of gasoline. Maybe it is just my taste. But pressure gauge you if the seal is holding within the design limits but I never to blow enough to hit 7-10 psi for fuel pump setup nor 3-5 psi for gravity setups.

B

Bertrrr

Yeah , I use a clean hose to blow through to keep gas outa my mouth, you'll know right away if it's a bad seat. Seems cheaper these days to change the whole carb rather than a repair kit.

StarTech

StarTech

Yet I try to keep from lining those Chinese pockets anymore than I have to. Most carburetor are manufacture from stolen info and are of poor quality.

R

Rls8836

Pictures could be helpful too.
I’ll try to take the pictures in about thirty minutes

A

AChrome

Just blowing in without using a pressure gauge is just about as useful as tits on a boar hog. I use a tester and do a 30 min leak down to verify that the float needle valve and seat are sealing.
Tits on a Boar hog ARE useful. The more tits on him, the better chance the female offspring will have more tits, which equals a better chance of feeding a large litter. We raised hogs when I was growing up.

G

Gord Baker

Look at the replacement part. Probe the seat area gently with a #3 Crochet hook if it is a soft seat and note which way it goes in. Pull it out and replace. Use correct size drill bit, chuck end to press it gently into place.
If it is a metal seat, try to find a Viton tipped needle. Good Luck.

S

schreib69

Remove the carb, turn upside down and blow into the fuel port , if you can't blow through it the needle and seat are ok, When you turn it right side up you should be able to blow through it , this will eliminate the needle / seat or tell if they're bad
HEY! thanks, smart advice and yet, I NEVER really realized that.

R

Rls8836

If you can find it, a model number. IF it's a briggs and stratton, it will be stamped into the valve cover, if it's a predator or "Honda clone" motor, there should be some numbers stamped into the back of the block.
Sir is the back of the block considered at the rear where the muffler is?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Sir is the back of the block considered at the rear where the muffler is?
between the dipstick and the shutoff switch location
Untitled.png

R

Rls8836

between the dipstick and the shutoff switch location
View attachment 67500