Replace Adapter -- Honda Walk Behind Mower (HRR2168VKA)

ZMonet

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Replace Adapter -- Honda Walk Behind Mower (HRR2168VKA)
I need help replacing the blade adapter on a Honda HRR2168VKA. I hit a stump with the mower and thought that I had just damaged the blade, but after replacing the blade the machine was VERY loud. I took off the adapter plate and it was bent. I examined the shaft and everything looked good on that so I ordered a new adapter plate.

I've received the new adapter and now my issue is aligning the key with the adapter plate. I can't seem to get the adapter plate to sit flush with the key in and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong. The key seems to block the plate from going flush no matter how I orientate it. I looked at some videos and it looks like the flat end of the key should be facing out.

I've attached some pics. The first pic shows the gap between the plate and the pulley. Is the adapter plate supposed to go flush? if so, how do I make that happen? What harm would I cause if I don't have the key in there? Thanks for any help. rsz_honda_adapter_plate.jpg

Attachments

• Honda Adapter Plate3.jpg
    Honda Adapter Plate3.jpg
    690.5 KB · Views: 12

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

ZMonet

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, it doesn't look damaged. I can install it, but pic 1 shows that with it installed the adapter can only go down that far (the key restricts the adapter plate from going flush). Is that normal, or should the adapter plate be able to go flush? Thanks for your help!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you take several pictures from different angles of the crankshaft with key installed & adapter plate removed?

Adapter plate should be flush.

Last edited:

Chris Parman

Threads
Along with what Mark said (need pictures at different angles), check for a bent crankshaft at PTO (or Power Takeoff) means lower portion of the crankshaft that is exposed after the oil sump and the blade attaches too.

HarmonySeeker

Threads
Is that the woodruff key half-sticking out of the small hole in pic3?