Repair, Restore, Part out...Part 7

dfbroxy

Well-Known Member
Long time since last update. Well I learned that in order to take heads off that the engine has to be pulled. What a pain. That thing weighs a ton! pulled the heads and the gaskets were not bad but the valves looked like crap. I think someone that didnt know what they were doing put them on a machine lathe. So thats 80 bucks for new valves. And while I got the engine on the table I may as well go all out and replace rings and hone cylinder. Im not putting all this work and money in an engine with 1500+hrs in it and it start smoking soon after. So thats whats in store for near future. More updates to come.
 
I'd be checking the valve guides for wear. Pull the valve about 1/3" out and wiggle it. See how much play there is in the valve guides. That may answer if it is even worth the time. Then ask yourself, "if I get one more season out of it when done, is it worth the cost?" You may just decide to refresh the engine rather than overhaul it.
 
Back
Top