Repair/replace Kaw fc420v-as10 engine??

usworange

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Having trouble finding parts for old Kaw engine fc420v-as10 (14hp) 38" riding mower. Does anyone know other engines which will work and have ready available parts? Engine brand does not matter as long as fitment and hp will work?? Would consider new Northern Tool engine or similar as well. Thank you, Philip.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Which parts do you need?

usworange

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not sure which parts the engine may need. The previous owner said engine was running when parked years ago and that it smoked a lot; I suspect engine oil changes were not performed as should be? In the past, I usually tear engine down and rework head, bore cylinder next oversize and replace worn bearings, rod, gaskets etc. The last Kawasaki (12.5 hp) rebuild I did cost about $300. However, I am reluctant to tear this engine apart knowing that the piston(s) is unavailable as well as many other parts. Thus, I may be better off going with a bolt on aftermarket engine if one exists which will fit the mower: Product ID # MOL172x016782 (John Deere LX 172). Engine # FC420V131921. 14 OHV "K series 14 hp". High torque 14 hp. Kawasaki Heavy Industries LTD.
Thank you for responding! Philip.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I'm assuming you've checked to be sure the oil was a the proper level and not too full?

Here's what small engine wharehouse shows for replacements for the LX172, both briggs have a 1"DX 3 5/32" Length crank... and 9 amp alternator.... so if you were to look at other engines, that could get you started. also will have to look at how the exhaust will bolt on. or if it will.

Locomotive1969

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tesr it down and inspect. Probably will find it needs new rings and a valve job. This was the bast Kawi ever in
my opinion.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Tesr it down and inspect. Probably will find it needs new rings and a valve job. This was the bast Kawi ever in
my opinion.
Know it needs the valves done but if I cant get the correct IPL so I can get the correct parts then tearing it down is a waste of time. It will run half way just compression feedback it is fighting its way to running. I got Zero valve clearances.