Removing top shroud on FS691V

geehaw

Threads
The word here has been "always remove shroud and cleans the fins", and I am trying, I removed all bolts from shroud on the Kawasaki FS691V and it will shake as if loose but will not lift off. What's the secret to this? Until I find out something I do not want to force it too much.

Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Did you bother to remove the flywheel debris screen?

geehaw

Threads
No, I looked at those three plastic fasteners and started to pry them out but did not.

geehaw

Threads
Thanks for the tip. I am going back out and do that

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The word here has been "always remove shroud and cleans the fins", and I am trying,
What? Another convert here, yipee. (y)

Again this is a yearly thing on all small engines.

geehaw

Threads
Yea, Slomo-I listened to you, and StarTech gave me the tip to get the shroud off. But things got tougher after that when I got to the three allen-head bolts holding the screen. A little rust showed up there and it took my heat gun and some work at that point. Not much "allen" in the cheap bolts for the wrench to bite so I had to improvise to break them loose. Needless to say they will have to be replaced-hopefully with something better.

At least my "fins" are clean - Do I get a Slomo star??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Those are Torx screws, not hex screws.

geehaw

Threads
The replacements I ordered were torx and I don't know why but those I took out were allen. I bought the mower new and no one has ever worked on it before.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea, Slomo-I listened to you, and StarTech gave me the tip to get the shroud off. But things got tougher after that when I got to the three allen-head bolts holding the screen. A little rust showed up there and it took my heat gun and some work at that point. Not much "allen" in the cheap bolts for the wrench to bite so I had to improvise to break them loose. Needless to say they will have to be replaced-hopefully with something better.

At least my "fins" are clean - Do I get a Slomo star??
You will get a star when I see a picture LOL. (y)

Don't forget top of the block, under flywheel, behind the muffler, around the oil sump breather and such. Some engines well most, have a metal cover with one bolt. Remove this for more access around the block. Grass, oil and crud will find any spot to land. As Bert said, there's clean and there's CLEAN. Great job so far sir!!

Don't forget about every 3-5 years, pull the head and decarbonize the cylinder head and valves. Again in your engine manual. Head gaskets are cheap. This keeps small chunks of very hard slash stubborn carbon from getting between the piston and the rings. When that happens you get bore scoring and possible deep gouges. Makes the engine a smoker if you let it go.