Removing this old nut on Echo PB-300E

cowofawesome

Threads
Capture.JPG
Hello!
First of all, I apologize that this is not a lawn mower, and this is the lawn mower forum, but this forum's helped me out so much in the past and I don't really feel like looking for a 'leaf blower forum.' I'm trying to take apart this old blower that I got a couple days ago. I had to take off the pull starter, and unfortunately during this process I managed to completely destroy the pawl catcher (part 32 in the picture above). To take it off and put on a new one, I have to take off the bolt holding it on (part 37), but the crank just spins when I try to loosen the bolt. Since the pawl catcher is broken off there is nothing for me to grab to jam the crank from spinning.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Re: Removing this old bolt on Echo PB-300E

View attachment 20689
Hello!
First of all, I apologize that this is not a lawn mower, and this is the lawn mower forum, but this forum's helped me out so much in the past and I don't really feel like looking for a 'leaf blower forum.' I'm trying to take apart this old blower that I got a couple days ago. I had to take off the pull starter, and unfortunately during this process I managed to completely destroy the pawl catcher (part 32 in the picture above). To take it off and put on a new one, I have to take off the bolt holding it on (part 37), but the crank just spins when I try to loosen the bolt. Since the pawl catcher is broken off there is nothing for me to grab to jam the crank from spinning.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Part 37 is a nut, use air wrench with socket.

cowofawesome

Threads
Part 37 is a nut, use air wrench with socket.
Damn... that's really embarrassing. I said bolt, but I meant nut. Sorry. The problem isn't the amount of force that I can use, its just that the nut is mounted on the crankshaft, which spins freely when I try to loosen the nut. I need a way to jam the crankshaft so it doesn't spin when I turn the wrench.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Large square vice grips would be what I use get a hold of it and the outside case and hold it tight. Use a socket without an extension and use short quick hits till its loose it'll be hard but otherwise I am not sure how you can get it off. I do know that echo used that same starter for many models and years and can easily replace the whole starter assy

possum

Threads
Long before air tools were as common as yappy little dogs folks stopped crankshafts from turning by stopping the piston from moving. To do so a spark plug was removed and some rope fed into the hole until a generous amount was in the cylinder. Some was left outside the hole so the rope could be removed. The nut was then removed. It worked then and will work now. People still do it all the time.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh I was looking at the diagram wrong. Another way is to possibly stop the flywheel from moving

cowofawesome

Threads
Long before air tools were as common as yappy little dogs folks stopped crankshafts from turning by stopping the piston from moving. To do so a spark plug was removed and some rope fed into the hole until a generous amount was in the cylinder. Some was left outside the hole so the rope could be removed. The nut was then removed. It worked then and will work now. People still do it all the time.
Hadn't thought of that one... that sounds like it'll do the trick. I'll try it tomorrow and report.
Thanks!

jp1961

Threads
I've sometimes been able to use an oil filter strap wrench to grab hold of the flywheel. The nut may also have locktite, so you may have to heat it.

Jeff