Engine Regent 18 battery not being charged

Regent18

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need help to determine if the alternator is not working or if the regulator is the problem. I had a voltmeter connected at the battery while running, and it would vary from only reading the the battery voltage to intermittently reading 13.5 to 15-16 VDC. Is there a place to measure the input to the regulator? I do have a VOM to measure ac or dc. I see where the regulator is on the side of the starter, but I do not know where the alternator is located. The engine is a B&S Vanguard 18HP, model 356777, type 0113E1. The tractor is a Regent 18HP Hydro model 1694656. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For the time being I charge the battery before needing to use it. The battery drops to about 11.5 VDC after cutting (about 1.5 hours use). Thank you.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The alt is up under the flywheel, the regulator has should have 3 wires going to it, two are from the alt, one goes to your mower. Take an a.c. reading
from the 2 wires from the alt. Tell us what it says, and also describe your wiring, colors of the wires and plug, shape and color of your reg., it will tell
us what amp system you have.

Regent18

Forum Newbie
Threads
I need help to determine if the alternator is not working or if the regulator is the problem. I had a voltmeter connected at the battery while running, and it would vary from only reading the the battery voltage to intermittently reading 13.5 to 15-16 VDC. Is there a place to measure the input to the regulator? I do have a VOM to measure ac or dc. I see where the regulator is on the side of the starter, but I do not know where the alternator is located. The engine is a B&S Vanguard 18HP, model 356777, type 0113E1. The tractor is a Regent 18HP Hydro model 1694656. Any help would be greatly appreciated. For the time being I charge the battery before needing to use it. The battery drops to about 11.5 VDC after cutting (about 1.5 hours use). Thank you.

Thank you for the quick reply and and ideas. The 2 wires are Yellow and the connector is also Yellow. The 1 wire is Red and goes to a 6 position White connector.
The regulator is rectangular approx. 1 3/4" by 2" and 7/8" thick. These numbers are on the top edge: 394890, 04-03.
I stated that the regulator was on the starter, but is on the metal plate to the right of the starter.
To measure the ac voltage on the yellow wires, do I disconnect the yellow connector, or do I have to cut the insulation to expose the wires for the reading?
Thanks again

Regent18

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the quick reply and and ideas. The 2 wires are Yellow and the connector is also Yellow. The 1 wire is Red and goes to a 6 position White connector.
The regulator is rectangular approx. 1 3/4" by 2" and 7/8" thick. These numbers are on the top edge: 394890, 04-03.
I stated that the regulator was on the starter, but is on the metal plate to the right of the starter.
To measure the ac voltage on the yellow wires, do I disconnect the yellow connector, or do I have to cut the insulation to expose the wires for the reading?
Thanks again

Hello, I measured the voltage with the yellow connector opened. The readings were 21 VAC @ idle and 29 VAC @ full throttle. Hope this helps. Does it indicate a regulator problem? Thanks again.