Recomendations on LT3000 Purchase/Rebuild

mayszs

Forum Newbie
Threads
Right now I have an older Craftsman, 917.270712, 42" cut 6 speed mower with a 15hp B&S engine that is getting it's butt kicked on my new property. My new place has more hills, obsticals and very thick grass so I've been looking at upgrading to a stronger tractor.
I found a guy seilling a LT3000 for 150 bucks with a "blown" motor. He said it seized after running it without oil. From what I was able to gather on the internet the LT3000 is outfitted with a 20hp B&S motor and a 46" deck.
I've never rebuilt a mower engine but I've done numerous small block Ford and GM engines.
What would this type of rebuild require?
I'm assuming new piston, rings, connecting rod bearing, cam bearings and gasket set.
Am I on the right track?
Can I get the crank reground or does it just get replaced?
Is rebuilding an oil damaged motor cost effective?
Is this project cost effective?
Any input would be greatly apriciated.

scott47429

Threads
if you was going to buy it i would look for a used engine for it i think it will be more cost effective

Outside Dog

Forum Newbie
Threads
What year is it? My LT3000 (new 917.2880) is a 21hp (Husqvarna) with 42" cut. Maybe it's older? I love my new ride with hydrostatic tranny, so if that's the case, I would think a rebuilt motor would be worth the $150 on the rest. Kowboy

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If your thinking about rebuilding it would be more cost efficient to go with a short block. Less work and you will end up will all new internal engine.