Rear Wheels Frozen On Craftsman Mower

I Hate Mowing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a Craftsman M140 push mower. Last fall, i drained the fuel, did everything to keep the motor healthy for the winter, covered up the motor and the deck to protect it from the elements, etc. Thought I had it all taken care of.

But I didn't cover up the rear wheels or do anything else to protect them.

I changed the oil today, put in fresh gas, replaced the plug, fired it up and got ready to mow the lawn. Runs great!! Couldn't wait to tear into that lawn!

But the rear wheels are completely frozen.

I pulled one off, and I'm not sure what it is I'm seeing. The wheel is mounted on what appears to be a splined shaft, and that's rusted very heavily. Because of the rust, I can't make out exactly how that shaft works - is it actually a splined sleeve, that's mounted on a shaft and rotates on bearings? I suspect that it's a sleeve with bearings, and it's all rusted into a solid mass. Is that what I'm looking at here?

If that's it, then there's no way to free that up, is there? If that's it, I'm thinking the only way to fix it is to order one of these and replace the whole rear axle and wheel assembly. Is that it, or am I missing a much easier way to fix it?

Thank you in advance...

https://www.mtdparts.com/en_US/misc.../lawn-mower-rear-axle/611-04144B.html#start=2