Rear Axles

Retired Cutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 2018 Ariens Ikon 52 zero turn Mower. It has a bout 200 hrs on it. My complaint about it is the ridiculous design of the rear wheel and axle on the drive transmission. Someone had the bright idea of making the wheel and hub one piece. They pressed the hub tub into a 2 sided taper to hold it in place. you screw a bolt and large washer to wedge it for tightness. Let me say that this wouldn't hold. Took it to a dealer and they called Ariens. It was a few days out of warranty. They agreed to fix it. So this is what they did, used the same drive system and put 2 new wheels and tires on it and it didn't last 2 cutting before both wheels came loose. Has anybody else had this problem?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Appears that you have the HG EZT. Unable to convert Ariens PN to Hydro Gear model number.

The Hydro Gear Double "D" design have been used for many years with few complaints. With you having to replace both axles and the rims I would say there is something not fitting right. Now if the screw itself is working loose it is probably because Loctite wasn't used. Even the MTD riders that the Double "D" axles uses Loctite on the screws. IE new screws with Loctite patch must be use everything the wheels are removed or Loctite applied.

Currently the 1.00 x 11.70 shaft only comes with the Double "D" design. The only shaft that comes close that is splined is only 3/4 in diameter.

It might be possible to convert but I would need to call Huntington and ask if even the parts are available for another EZT unit that will fit your transaxles length wise. I would need to call and ask before I was sure it can be done. But if this is possible then the axles and rims plus the adding of a hub assembly along wheel nuts. Can get get expensive with parts and labor as it would not be covered by warranty. It would be about $112 per transaxle just for the axles and hubs. Then you need find rims and tires that fit.