Raptor SD Brake Rod o-ring Leak

wolffbimmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Raptor SD Model 932558 (54" deck) and the right side brake rod o-ring is leaking (outboard side). Rather than split the pump to get the brake rod out and change the 0-ring, my local mower shop said there was a Hustler-made repair kit that fixes this issue from the outside (some kind of end cap?) He gave me a part number, but it must be the wrong one since I can't find anything. (Part number 970570) $74.00. Has anyone on here heard of this, or know the proper part number? If not, I will know Monday morning when the shop re-opens.

Thanks!

wolffbimmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Raptor SD Model 932558 (54" deck) and the right side brake rod o-ring is leaking (outboard side). Rather than split the pump to get the brake rod out and change the 0-ring, my local mower shop said there was a Hustler-made repair kit that fixes this issue from the outside (some kind of end cap?) He gave me a part number, but it must be the wrong one since I can't find anything. (Part number 970570) $74.00. Has anyone on here heard of this, or know the proper part number? If not, I will know Monday morning when the shop re-opens.

Thanks!

Got the kit.

https://www.hustlerlawnmowerparts.com/hustler-part-606830/

Luckily my local dealer where the mower came from ordered it and pleaded with Hustler to be free of charge since mower is just out of warranty. Much easier to do this rather tear apart the whole pump.

BEYTILL

Threads
The kit is a simple fix. When taking off the brake arms off Remember their position. Clean the brake shaft thoroughly, grease the oil ring(they say Vaseline) slide on shaft all the way, then the aluminum cap with hole, then spring. Now the fun part, reinstall brake arm in original position. I used a small pry bar up against the PTO to help put pressure on the brake arm and new spring while trying to align. Once started a small ball peen hammer will help to get it set and ready for the clip.
Now the easy part(what I thought). If you haven’t already removed the wheels and tires, do so. You have the aluminum caps left to install. Throughly clean the end of the shaft and hole. You might have to give the end of the shaft a tap to push it in a little, be nice, it doesn’t have to move much. Now grab your tube of Locktite 603 and add it ONLY to the little ridge on the cap. WARNING! DO NOT GET IT IN SIDE! Now just place it in the hole. Make sure it’s set all the way in. I used a a set of long reach Vise grips and clamped them in. BECAUSE.......LOCKTITE 603 TAKES 72hrs TO SET!.....I learned the hard way. I let them set over night. Luckily I found them in my driveway. They don’t tell you that in the instructions.
PS..I Put a few drops on top of the cap and let it run down around it.

Mr. Mower

Threads
Thanks for posting and sharing this very important info!

BEYTILL

Threads
UPDATE! DO NOT GET THAT 603 ON YOU FINGERS!
I thought I had forgot that I had burnt my fingers(it happens in my shop, a lot of welding and burning)when the skin peeled off my thumb and fore fingers on my left hand 2 days ago. And today my right hand thumb and fore finger did. Then the light bulb went on! Bad enough that I can’t open my IPad or phone by finger prints. So Be Warned!