Export thread

Ran when parked . . . . . . .

B

BigBand

Yea, we've all heard that one before, but we still take a chance and buy that old engine.

So, I've recently acquired this old generator - a Generac G1000, model 8834-0 - at a garage sale no less! The guy says he got it from someone 20 years ago, and it ran then, but he hasn't tried to start it since.

So, my questions all revolve around what to do with an engine in this condition. Friends have suggested just put gas in it, check the oil, and pull the rope. Also suggested is to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the combustion chamber for awhile, then try to start it.

So what would you guys do? I haven't even tried to pull the rope. I assume it has some oil in it, and the gas tank is dry.

Just go for it?

M

mechanic mark

Change the oil & filter if it has one, air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, add fresh gas & give it a go.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...odel 8834-0&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.28900j0j8

GENERAC GENERATOR Parts | Model 88340 | Sears PartsDirect

B

BigBand

Change the oil & filter if it has one, air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, add fresh gas & give it a go.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...odel 8834-0&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i64.28900j0j8

GENERAC GENERATOR Parts | Model 88340 | Sears PartsDirect

What do you think about the need for a top cylinder lube, like Marvel Mystery Oil?

Do you know of any free source for a manual?

Thanks!

L

Lawnranger

Yea, we've all heard that one before, but we still take a chance and buy that old engine.

So, I've recently acquired this old generator - a Generac G1000, model 8834-0 - at a garage sale no less! The guy says he got it from someone 20 years ago, and it ran then, but he hasn't tried to start it since.

So, my questions all revolve around what to do with an engine in this condition. Friends have suggested just put gas in it, check the oil, and pull the rope. Also suggested is to put some Marvel Mystery Oil in the combustion chamber for awhile, then try to start it.

So what would you guys do? I haven't even tried to pull the rope. I assume it has some oil in it, and the gas tank is dry.

Just go for it?

Please don't assume it has oil. Verify first, but even better is to change out that 20 year old oil before attempting to start the engine. Go ahead and put enough gasoline to cover the bottom of the tank and start looking for leaks. If it has fuel lines then they are likely dry rotted, cracked, hard, etc. and need replacing. Most likely the carburetor will need a complete disassemble and proper cleaning but you won't know until you try to start the engine. Keep a fire extinguisher close by and don't start it indoors such as your garage or shop (even if the bay door is open).

L

Lawnranger

What do you think about the need for a top cylinder lube, like Marvel Mystery Oil?

Do you know of any free source for a manual?

Thanks!

There is no need for a top cylinder lube as engine oil performs that job quite well. OTOH, I have used MMO with mixed results and you will probably find that there are two groups when it comes to oil & fuel additives - those for and those against. MMO, Seafoam, STP, Gumout, and the other products available all have their claims and the worst thing that could happen is that your wallet is a little bit lighter. If you have had positive experiences in the past with MMO then by all means use some in the oil, gasoline and combustion chamber as instructed on the label. Let us know how it turns out.

M

mechanic mark