Ran Mower with Gas in Oil...Damaged?

CaptainHomemaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Due to not closing the fuel shut off valve, a ton of gas leaked into the oil on a Craftsman LT1000 riding mower. I ran it for about 2 minutes or so before white smoke started billowing out, which is when I found out the problem...
After changing oil and filter, it ran fine, but I'm wondering if there was any damage that will just show up later? Sorry if that's a weird question, I'd just like to know. Do you think there was any significant damage to the engine that will cause problems later on?
Thanks! :)

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
usually after a engine floods i change the oil and filter a time or two at least... just put in a good quality oil and filter and run it.
and maybe if you want to repair the carburetor we can help you out.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get the carb fixed first before changing any oil. I doubt you did any damage. Least it had some flavor of lubrication in the oil sump. Now if you ran it dry, that's another conversation.

slomo

CaptainHomemaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
usually after a engine floods i change the oil and filter a time or two at least... just put in a good quality oil and filter and run it.
and maybe if you want to repair the carburetor we can help you out.
Get the carb fixed first before changing any oil. I doubt you did any damage. Least it had some flavor of lubrication in the oil sump. Now if you ran it dry, that's another conversation.

slomo
Thanks guys! So you don't think there was much damage to the engine, since it still runs?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I seriously doubt any damage was done. You had I would guess a full oil level and extra fuel on top of that in the oil sump.

1.Your carburetor needs rebuilt or replaced with an OEM carb. -- Noticed I typed OEM. Not ebay or amazon Chi'sneeze Gambler Series carburetors.
2.Once carb is tip top, change the oil again.

slomo

CaptainHomemaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I seriously doubt any damage was done. You had I would guess a full oil level and extra fuel on top of that in the oil sump.

1.Your carburetor needs rebuilt or replaced with an OEM carb. -- Noticed I typed OEM. Not ebay or amazon Chi'sneeze Gambler Series carburetors.
2.Once carb is tip top, change the oil again.

slomo
Ok. Yeah, there was plenty of fluid, it was just really thin...So not sure if that would equal more damage.
Does that need to be done, even if the fuel shut-off valve is used? Cause it leaked gas last time due to not turning off the valve. I'm thinking it'll be fine if the valve is shut off each time.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It will be fine with the valve off,, however i have seen needles leak enough to where it chokes the engine while running..

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok. Yeah, there was plenty of fluid, it was just really thin...So not sure if that would equal more damage.
Does that need to be done, even if the fuel shut-off valve is used? Cause it leaked gas last time due to not turning off the valve. I'm thinking it'll be fine if the valve is shut off each time.
Fix the carb proper.

Shutoff valve is to defend against fuel in the oil sump.

Next year you will forget about the valve and flood the oil sump out again.

You could also remove all the fuel from the mower when you are done mowing. Then, no need for a shutoff valve.

Could also remove the fuel tank when you are done mowing. See how dumb this is getting?

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Fix the carb proper.

Shutoff valve is to defend against fuel in the oil sump.

Next year you will forget about the valve and flood the oil sump out again.

You could also remove all the fuel from the mower when you are done mowing. Then, no need for a shutoff valve.

Could also remove the fuel tank when you are done mowing. See how dumb this is getting?

slomo
just remove the carb every time you finish mowing :p

Born2Mow

Threads
You have shortened the engine's life, but by how much no one can say. If you disassembled the engine, you probably couldn't even measure the differences. But these engines are like Pepperidge Farm.... they remember !

Start using the fuel valve. It's on there for a reason, and now you know the reason.