Question on fluid for Horse Tiller

AMustachedFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently got an old Horse(mid to late 80's,in great condition) that had been sitting for 10 years. Took it to a friend's father-in-law, who got it running. There was one thing he didn't do, though, because he wasn't sure on the correct fluid. It is the fluid that goes in the drive-train/transmission. Theres a bolt for filling and a bolt for draining. My buddy said he thought it might be 90W oil that goes in but he wasn't sure. He said I need to drain and replace it because after a long period of non-use some water could collect. Any feedback would be great.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Should be a 85W-140 that is safe for yellow metal. GL-4 most likely but some of the newer GL-5 are yellow metal compatible.

Gil

Threads
According to TroyBilt Horse owners manual use 140# oil. Do not over fill. Make sure unit is on level surface, remove the side plug and leave open. Fill from top until oil runs out of side plug hole. Fill hole is bolt hole that mount the handles. This is from "Owners Manual". I own a "Horse" model purchased in 1981. Has 7HP engine that still starts on 1st or 2nd pull. Engine never been into, transmission was overhauled about 5 years ago. Great machine. Have all the original manuals and paper work that came with machine. Need any part name, number, etc. please let me know. Tip.. if have to replace pancake muffler go with a screw in bottle muffler. Just had to replace my muffler. The pancake replacement was going to cost almost $50, bottle muffler was less than $10.

AMustachedFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks so much for the replies, guys. This Horse is looking to be a terrific find.

brancoga

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can go to Troybilt.com to get your manual in PDF format.