Question - 1990 Lawn Boy RE8e RER 8hp B&S Engine

LawnBoyLanny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I am new here and would like to thank everyone. I have a 1990 Lawn Boy RE8e RER mower. I am curious to know what engine replacement options are available for my model, I bought the mower from a guy for $25, decent shape with a little surface rust, he said the motor isn't blown but the mower sat uncovered outside for 3 years, basically everything on the engine is trashed, carb, exhaust, various lines and connectors. Honestly, at this point it seems an engine replacement would be a cheaper option. It has the 8HP B&S I/C cast iron bore engine on it. Has anyone replaced their engine? Which motor did you use? What is the shaft dimensions on the stock engine? Any knowledge would be more than appreciated. Thank you for your time and understanding.

-Lanny

Tinkerer200

Threads
I would recommend a 28 series, 12.5 hp "L" head B&S. It will fit right in even if the charging system is not the same, they will interchange. Std. shaft for both will be 1" X 3-5/32' long.

Walt Conner

LawnBoyLanny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is this the engine to which you are referring to?

B&S 12.5hp.jpg

Thank You for your time.

-Lanny

LawnBoyLanny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Walt,

Thank You for your insight. I will have one ordered next week and will post photo's when finished. :cool:

-Lanny

mphelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to repair my Dad's 93 Toro wheelhorse with the koolbore 8hp, the aluminum cylinder is beyond repair. I'd be interested in your i/c shortblock or your source for the i/c 12.5. Thanks, Mike

mphelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure what that last post was, thought I should repost.

I'm looking to repair my Dad's 93 Toro wheelhorse with the koolbore 8hp, the aluminum cylinder is beyond repair. I'd be interested in your i/c shortblock or your source for the i/c 12.5. Thanks, Mike

mphelle

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ended up trading a set of outboard carbs for a nice i/c 12.5 that I found on cl, thanks for the info that it would be a drop in replacement, runs great!