Putting green, bunker, cascading water feature and adding french ditch/drain to avoid water near my foundations?

OnTheGrass

Threads
  • / Putting green, bunker, cascading water feature and adding french ditch/drain to avoid water near my foundations?
We live in amongst 2 golf courses one used for the World Cup of Golf many years back, its popular clearly with locals with the country club up the road and the 18th.

Im keen to lay a small putting surface, bunker and water feature in to finish off the landscaping.

Id like to get a water feature in there as well if possible. Not as a hazard, just to add to the tranquility. There is an unused paved corner which would be above the green or possibly bunker that Id like to cascade with boulders etc via a recycling pump.

This would be visible by most rooms and would look fantastic at night under our cool bulb lighting (and existing garden lighting along fence perimeter) at night.

Generally what seed is used to get that carpet like green for putting? Im thinking a fine fescue of sorts....

Can it be resistant to shade? (if not that might foil my plans).I can keep my existing hard wearing kikuyu for the rest of the lawn if I just do a smaller putting green and bunker for visuals (keep those cats out with cameras and sprinkler).

I also want to run a french drain out the back and down the gentle slope to avoid water getting near my house foundations even though it is well boarded off at the 6 inch layer, I feel I need to run a bit more angle to get the water moving and may as well use a french drain to achieve it.

It is just a concept at this stage. But many people do move here for the golf and Marina areas. I think a green, bunker and water feature(in the unusable corner) may add some value. There isnt a lot of landscaping left to do as the prior owners did a good job, although some bad plant choices need removal (large ones at that).

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Putting green, bunker, cascading water feature and adding french ditch/drain to avoid water near my foundations?
You are doing the right research, but missing a valuable asset sitting right in front of you. Who? The head groundskeeper at both of the golf courses. They will know exactly which grasses work best in your area and be able to answer your questions better than 99% of the members on this forum. I would start there, with a dozen sweet rolls in hand, early in the morning. Cheap price to pay for expert and valuable information.

OnTheGrass

Threads
Haha thats a good Idea rivets. The reality the easiest way to get a quality putting surface is artificial, but this is more for aesthetic and possibly chipping. We lived on the Golf Course prior. But this house has better sea views.