Push Mower Not Shutting Off

Red_Starrise

Forum Newbie
Threads
I release the bar for the kill switch and it keeps running but at a much lower rpm. Kind of chugging. Basically it's diesling.

I gave it a bump with my boot and it shut off fully. Recommendations what I should check?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the engine brake might be working. Check the coil wire that runs to some switch that GROUNDS the coil to kill the ignition. Post your mower model and engine numbers here. We have no idea what you have other than a "push mower".

slomo

Red_Starrise

Forum Newbie
Threads
Motor: briggs and stratton model 09P6020096F1
Murray 21" model 11A-A2BF758

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here you go. You should be able to find all the parts below.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you need more help, StarTech will be around shortly, once all his ads load LOL.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
There are two things incorporated in the kill switch, the switch itself, and a brake...
There is a black kill wire that comes from the ignition coil,that hooks into a plastic insulator with a piece of metal on it isolating it from ground (the engine) when you release the bail handle, two things happen, a metal arm comes into contact with that bracket the kill wire is hooked to and gives kill wire a path to ground killing spark to the spark plug, also there is a brake pad on another bracket that contacts the flywheel to bring the engine to a quicker stop.
so it sounds like your coil wire may not have a good contact with ground when you release the handle.
This video is for a different model, but the way it works is very similar. actually a forum member did this video awhile back....