pull string stuck

pbenson23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Scott mower with a Briggs and Stratton Intek OHV 6.5 HP engine.

One day, when I tried to start the engine, I found the pull string stuck. It showed no sign of problems during the last mowing. I turned the mower side way, disconnected the wire to the spark plug, and turned the blade by hand. After about 3 turns, I couldn't turn it further. So, I turned it the other way. Again, after few turns, I couldn't turn it further. I used another mower to finish the mowing job. Then, I came back to work on this Scott mower. I found that if I pulled the string slowly and if I met any resistance, I let the sting recoiled back, I was able to pull to the end this way. This, of course, didn't start the engine.

I removed the red cover, gas tank, motor oil spout, the engine shroud and examined the pull string mechanism. It seemed OK. No resistance when I pulled it. Thinking that the problem might be something inside the engine and beyond my ability to repair, I put everything back, ready to send it for repair. Before doing that, I did a last trial. I turned the mower on its side again and manually turned the blade. This time, I was able to turn the blade and encountered much less, yet still some, resistance after few turns. I then decided to start it and see what would happen. Miraculously, it started.

Anyone knows what's going on here? There was no obvious obstruction to the blade to begin with (no foreign object under the mower that prevented blade from turning) yet I had difficulty turning the blade manually. And I seemed to have done nothing and the obstruction was mostly, not completely, gone. Is it safe to run the mower?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Possible it hydrolocked from leaking fuel or other issues. If it does it again remove the spark plug and see if it will crank. Any liquid in the cylinder will spray out. And be careful about spraying fuel because it can create static charge and ignite the fuel.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like it is/was hydro locked. Better check the oil to see if it is thin with gas or not. Next time you have a mower like this, remove the spark plug outdoors and try again. A large cloud of gas droplets may come flying out the spark plug hole. If you turned it on its side and left it for awhile, expect that cloud to be oil droplets. Either way it is flammable so do it outdoors away from ignition sources. Don't run it if the oil is contaminated with gasoline.

pbenson23

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a lot for the replies.

I had to search the net to see what hydrolocked was. Now that you mentioned it, there is one thing that might be related. There is a thin layer of oil on the deck of the mower. If my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't there before. This seems to be a new phenomenon. It's on the front side. Not sure where the oil is coming from, exhaust, maybe? Is this related to hydrolocked?

How to prevent or stop hydrolocked?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Fuel getting into the oil. Excessive oil level. Two main ways one can hydro-lock an engine.

Dump the oil. Refill with SAE 30 to the full mark and only the full mark. Engine on flat ground ect....

Pull the dipstick and smell for fuel. If you smell gas, repair the carb needle and seat. If this is happening, I would install a fuel line shutoff if it was my mower. Then repair the needle/seat.