Export thread

PTO Switch chattering

B

boboteabaggins

So I own a Huskee LT4200 with a Kohler courage SV530-0222. I went out after winter to start it up and the solenoid just spun and did not rise to engage. So I replaced the solenoid, same symptom. Then I heard chattering coming from under the seat, so I think relay, replace that. Same issue, then I feel where the chattering is coming from and its the PTO switch, replace that, same thing. So I am out of ideas other that chasing wires.

I

ILENGINE

And you looked at everything except the a poor battery connection or a failing battery. The chattering is normally a sign of the voltage dropping below a point that keeps the starter solenoid engaged and then when the solenoid temporary disengages the voltage rises re-engaging the starter solenoid.

V

VegetiveSteam

solenoid just spun and did not rise to engage. So I replaced the solenoid.
Can I ask what solenoid you are referring to?

B

boboteabaggins

Can I ask what solenoid you are referring to?
Engine solenoid.

B

boboteabaggins

And you looked at everything except the a poor battery connection or a failing battery. The chattering is normally a sign of the voltage dropping below a point that keeps the starter solenoid engaged and then when the solenoid temporary disengages the voltage rises re-engaging the starter solenoid.
i ran a trickle charge on it to full capacity but that doesnt mean the battery cells are good. It is walmart brand

V

VegetiveSteam

Engine solenoid.
That’s what im trying to understand. I don’t know of a solenoid that spins and rises. Do you mean the starter?

I

ILENGINE

That’s what im trying to understand. I don’t know of a solenoid that spins and rises. Do you mean the starter?
I suspect that is what he is referring to And as you know a weak battery on Kohler can cause the starter to turn but not enough to kick the gear up the worm drive.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

So I own a Huskee LT4200 with a Kohler courage SV530-0222. I went out after winter to start it up and the solenoid just spun and did not rise to engage. So I replaced the solenoid, same symptom. Then I heard chattering coming from under the seat, so I think relay, replace that. Same issue, then I feel where the chattering is coming from and its the PTO switch, replace that, same thing. So I am out of ideas other that chasing wires.
I have never heard a seat safety switch, PTO switch, or relay chatter, because they don’t. That was the starter solenoid quickly engaging and disengaging, most likely due to a battery not fully charged. Charge the battery, load test the battery and try again.