Repairs PTO shut down when switch pulled up.

rylan777

Forum Newbie
Threads
scag tiger cub s/n 9260279 20 hp kohler 48 deck. Purchased June 2004.

I have read all the posts about pto problems. When I pull up the pto switch the engine runs for a sec or two then dies. I have a brand new battery from O'Riely's auto parts and it measures 15 or so volts when engine is off. Checked the 20 amp fuses by the seat, checked the seat, arms, and brake switches. All work. It mowed when I put it up last winter. I am going for two new spark plugs now. By the what would be a good asking price once I get this problem fixed? Thanks Rylan

How do I get to the PTO switch to check it? If it is under the pull up knob, I can't see how to get to it. Also, with the engine off, when I pull up the knob I hear a clunk so I thought the pto switch was ok.

I put in new plugs and let it run a few minutes and the pto worked.

Then when I stopped after mowing a few minutes the left side of the engine was smoking like it was really hot. Any ideas why? When I changed the plug on that side the plug had oil on it but the dip stick shows full and it doesn't smoke when I am mowing.

Also how do you tell if the Hydraulic fluid is full?

Last edited:

rylan777

Forum Newbie
Threads
By the way, the battery is a 230/275 Super Start rated for up to a 19 hp mower. Do you think it is too small for the 20 hp kor?

Last edited: