Export thread

PTO problem

W

Walsh465

I have a ex mark lazer z. Today after about a hour of cutting the motor started to stall out of no where. So I immediately turned the blades off and tried to engage the PTO again. I could hear it engage but again motor would stall. So I got off and took a look, engaged the PTO, and I can see the clutch try to spin but it will not. Tried it again and same thing but the motor stalled. So I tried to start it again, dead battery. I put a charger on the battery for about 30 minutes. Came back to it and it started right up and the PTO worked fine so I started cutting again and after 5 minutes or so the motor started to stall again so I parked it. I didn’t get a chance to look at it much. Belt looks fine. So is this a electrical issue like not charging? Or bad PTO?

B

Bertrrr

Make sure you don't have a bad or binding deck pully first , if that's free pull the belt off the pto and engage while watching it spin / or not and see how the engine reacts. There could be a safety switch shorting out or some such.

StarTech

StarTech

Make sure the system is charging the battery with the PTO off. And check current draw of the PTO clutch. IT should under 7 amps; usually around 3-5 amps. If above 7 amps then PTO clutch is shorting out and over taxing the charging system.

B

Born2Mow

Sounds like a charging issue to me. Either the battery cannot accept a charge (due to poor connections or issues inside the battery), or the battery is not receiving a "charge".
• With the engine running at mowing RPM, the battery should measure slightly above 14VDC. If you place an ammeter between the battery cable and battery post you should see a charge current around 1A.
• If you charge the disconnected (and filled) battery for 30 minutes, the voltage across the terminals should be ~12.7V and no lower than 12.3V. Your mower shop or battery store should be able to "load test" your battery for you.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Charge battery. Measure battery voltage. Approx 12.6v-12.8v?

Start mower and set throttle to max and measure voltage at battery. Approx 13.5v-14.5v?

Engage PTO and measure battery voltage. Approx 13.5v-14.5v?