PTO NOISE?

bmwmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I get this whining sound almost gear like when I engage the mower deck or snow thrower. I turn off the PTO and the engine sounds fine. Is it the PTO or another kind of problem?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would say the problem is either a bearing going bad in a spindle or an idler pulley on the deck.

bmwmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would say the problem is either a bearing going bad in a spindle or an idler pulley on the deck.

That's what I first thought when I had the snow thrower attached. Yet when I put the deck on I got the same sound. It would be quite a coincidence for a spindle or idler wheel to suddenly go bad on the deck and snow thrower at the same time.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm going to ask some very stupid questions, so I understand what you are talking about. Do you have a Kubota L series tractor, MTD tractor, or something else. Does it have an electric or manual clutch? You have to understand that BOTH my ESP and my ability to see through the computer wires are not working properly lately. We need your help.

bmwmc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going to ask some very stupid questions, so I understand what you are talking about. Do you have a Kubota L series tractor, MTD tractor, or something else. Does it have an electric or manual clutch? You have to understand that BOTH my ESP and my ability to see through the computer wires are not working properly lately. We need your help.

Thanks for the reply. I have a 2004 Cub Cadet Model 2518 riding mower.

This is a pic of the tractor & PTO I got online:

2922898_large.jpg

It has a PTO with a electric control.

33123.jpg

Thanks again for reply.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you have an electric PTO/clutch I suspect that you have a common belt pulley which is used by both the mower and blower, which is make the noise. If there is no common pulley it mean you will need to have the clutch adjusted or replaced.