PTO Acting up

rajthepilot

Threads
Hi All,

Mower Info: Snapper Pro S200XT Professional, Model # 5901280. Engine Model Number: Briggs & Stratton 49T877-0010-G1

Quick Summary: Last year I changed the PTO switch because it had gotten loose. Later in 2023, the PTO clutch locked up and I had to have the repair shop replace it. Early 2024 after 19.2 hours of use, this new PTO clutch locked up again and blew the main 20 amp fuse, and the coils were burnt inside the clutch. It was stuck on and didn't come off easily. Replaced it again and now the mower is behaving somewhat erratic. Sometimes when I try to crank it, it doesn't start and sometimes it does. I'll put the parking brake down and up, PTO switch on and off and try again.

With the mower off, if I pull the PTO switch, sometimes I hear a click, (could that be the PTO engaging? it shouldn't though when the mower isn't on and someone isn't sitting on the seat). I then push the PTO button down, try cranking again, sometimes it cranks and sometimes it doesn't.

Also does it throw little bit of fuel into the cylinder when you crank the key even though the flywheel doesn't turn yet. The reason I'm bringing this up is once I got it started, and I pushed the choke lever down (as I always do), it shut off. When I was able to start it again after few tries, I pushed the choke in very slowly and it remained running.

I feel it's a wiring issue with the mower or could it be just the PTO switch? Would changing the PTO switch be worth a try? And are they universal or I must get the same part number that I bought last year (Part # 1722887SM)

Thank you. This forum has been very helpful over the years. I'm really hoping the PTO doesn't burn up again and I have a feeling it's a wiring issue. Perhaps extra voltage got sent or some wires shorted that caused the PTO to lock up last time, but the issue perhaps resulted from outside the PTO clutch.

The repair shop simply changed the PTO clutch and sent it back and now I'm seeing the erratic behavior when I try to start it. I mean the main thing is I feel I shouldn't hear a click when I engage the PTO with the engine off.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the ignition switch is on but the engine not running you should still hear the PTO clutch operate. You may have bad wire terminals at the PTO switch and PTO maybe damaged from the shorted clutch. But if the ignition switch is off then the clutch should not be operating.

Also it sound like the repair didn't use any anti seize compound when they installed the clutch. Also when you installed the new clutch did you burnish it in?

rajthepilot

Threads
If the ignition switch is on but the engine not running you should still hear the PTO clutch operate. You may have bad wire terminals at the PTO switch and PTO maybe damaged from the shorted clutch. But if the ignition switch is off then the clutch should not be operating.

Also it sound like the repair didn't use any anti seize compound when they installed the clutch. Also when you installed the new clutch did you burnish it in?
Once the engine starts, I can engage the PTO and I owed for about 4.5 hours last week. But it's just hard to know when it's going to crank. So I just keep trying with PTO on, PTO off, (it only starts with PTO off), but I have to try all these steps I feel.

I don't know if the repair shop used antiseize on it and what is "burnished it in"?

Also shouldn't PTO only engage if someone is sitting on the seat and the engine is running? I had someone sit on the mower, start the engine, I then pulled the PTO wires out (it didn't start previously when the PTO wires were out), and then when I engage the PTO, I read -14 volts on it. I'm not why it was negative, but I did connect red lead to red wire and black lead to black wire.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You to step back and look and think through the diagram. Its like working a jigsaw puzzle.

rajthepilot

Threads
You to step back and look and think through the diagram. Its like working a jigsaw puzzle.
Thank you so much again for providing it. I actually found it at Briggs & Stratton Parts look up website. I had been there many times, but never noticed this.

I wrote up full details of how the wiring works and I'll open up another forum and post it, so if any person stumbles upon it in the future, it'll help them. If you aren't too busy, please have a read and make any corrections. It's a long read though.

Right now, I'm thinking it's a solenoid issue, but I'll do some more investigation before posting online. The solenoid clicks, but sometimes the engine turns and sometimes it doesn't.

I do have one question that I couldn't figure out. When the ignition is off, G & M & A at the ignition switch are connected. But what purpose does it serve to connect the A?