Prolonging Lilac Bushes

rhonda42

Threads
I've noticed that my lilac bushes tend to bloom in the spring for only about two to three weeks then just die out. Does anyone know of a method to prolong their bloom for longer into the summer ?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've noticed that my lilac bushes tend to bloom in the spring for only about two to three weeks then just die out. Does anyone know of a method to prolong their bloom for longer into the summer ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Being in Florida I'm surprised they bloom at all since they tend to prefer cold winters.

Two to three weeks is about the norm but according to the link below, having a few different varieties of about a thousand possible, is one way of possibly extending the bloom season.
Lilacs, Lilac Bush, Growing Lilacs, How to Grow Lilacs

Georgian

Threads
I think the only way to get a longer flowering season, is to have early, mid and late varieties. None that I know of in my research flower more than 10 days. Early lilacs like the Syringa hyacinthiflora flower a good 7 to 10 days before the mid type, and the late flower that much later than the mid.

The main problem is, you location, I'm afraid. Lilacs have to have a dormant period. I have read that you can deprive the plants of water for 2-3 weeks. then start watering them again, and that fools them into thinking they went dormant.