Problems Starting

bubbawny

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Troy Built Hydro 14 ST140, 13065 s/n 130650100190.

The engine (294777-0333-04 (code 93030311).

I was given this by my step dad about four years ago. I have a walk-behind mower I usually use until I get too tired or it's too hot. (I'm a plump 55 year old and prefer to get some exercise without causing cardiac arrest!)

:)

Anyways, it's really hot out now, and I went to start this unit. Of course, the battery was dead. So I charged it up.

The unit cranks over, but does not even sputter or attempt to ignite.

Today, I replaced the spark plugs (properly gapped). I replaced the air filter. I replaced the gas filter.

Gas is flowing. I disconnected the last clamp on the gas hose feeding into the engine. It was streaming out in a steady flow.

After doing all this, the unit still won't start up. I set the choke to full, turn it over, starter cranks, but the engine never even seems to ignite, nor sputter.

I don't know what to check next. Finding a manual for the engine has turned out to be impossible.

I am not a mechanic, BTW, but just a semi-handy average Joe.

I don't know what to check next. I don't know frankly how to get at the carburator, take it off, or replace it. Frankly, I can't find the part # of a new carb. Like I said, this thing is ancient.

One thing I did not do was drain the gas out of the tank and lines completely. I could do this next. But I just bought the gas.

This mower was sitting all winter. This is the first time I'm trying to get it to run.

I don't know what else to try. Money is tight with the whole economy/COVID19 thing. I'm not averse to paying a pro to help. But I don't really have several hundreds to spare. I'd frankly rather wait to find a cool time of day and use the push.

But still, I'd like to see if there's anything else to do to get it to run.

I don't know if it's getting spark, but did put in new plugs. Call me crazy, but I'm afraid to unscrew the plugs and have them connected, setting next to the metal block and crank to see the spark. I don't want to blow shit up.

This unit never even sputters or even tries to ignite. I turn the key for a few seconds for crank, no issues cranking. but it never even attempts to run.

What else can I try?

it's now me vs. this thirty year old beast.

Does anyone have a diagram of this thing, the carbeurator, how to disconnect and replace?

Reading online, it sounds as if the carb should be taken apart, cleaned, or replaced. I've done that on a small engine before, like 20 years ago. But I'm not sure if this is the next step or not. Could be gummed up on the inside.

But without a diagram, manual for the engine and carb, I'm not sure I have what I need to take that step.

I don't see a float on this thing like other engines I have done before. There's no spring loaded depressor that I can see, no bowl, to check to see if gas is actually in the carburetor.

Anyways, looking for tips and advice.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Carb part number from Briggs is 808728 specific to the date code. No Longer Sold. saw a few on amazon for $20-$30.
parts breakdowns. https://www.partstree.com/models/294777-0333-04-briggs-stratton-vertical-engine/
The thing to do is remove one or both spark plugs pour about a teaspoon, maybe a bit more of gasoline or Brake cleaner into the cylinder, reinstall plugs and wires, start it, if it fires then dies, fuel problem. no fire, no spark. If no spark, locate the ignition coils underneath the plastic engine cover, they should have a small black kill wire going to them, unplug them, then retry starting it, if it starts, there is something shorting on the kill wire causing it to ground the coil and not produce spark.
With the coil kill wires unplugged and still no spark, coil is bad.

bubbawny

Forum Newbie
Threads
TYVM, friend!

Will give it a shot!

Thanks so much!

bubbawny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. A little gas in the cylinder, nothing. No fire.

Will see about taking off engine cover and find the kill wire.

bubbawny

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok. A little gas in the cylinder, nothing. No fire.

Will see about taking off engine cover and find the kill wire.