Problem with my weed eater 128 Husqvarna

tango1000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old but always working 128 Husqvarna. So finally stopped working. I put a new carburetor, gas tank, and now replace the cylinder and piston. The reason was I measured the compression and it read 50 psi, so I replaced the piston and cylinder thinking it was to low. After all the changes the pressures is the same at 50 psi on new piston and new cylinder. And of course wouldn't start. I know for the money I could already buy a new one already, but I just want to fix this one. Any one please can tell me what it should be the compression for this model??? Thanks

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I have an old but always working 128 Husqvarna. So finally stopped working. I put a new carburetor, gas tank, and now replace the cylinder and piston. The reason was I measured the compression and it read 50 psi, so I replaced the piston and cylinder thinking it was to low. After all the changes the pressures is the same at 50 psi on new piston and new cylinder. And of course wouldn't start. I know for the money I could already buy a new one already, but I just want to fix this one. Any one please can tell me what it should be the compression for this model??? Thanks
What year is it approximately (check the writing on label)? You cannot simply do a compression test on a 2-stroke handheld piece of equipment and it be accurate. The tester needs to be made for small engines with a Schraeder valve. Otherwise, won’t read correctly. A way better way to tell the condition of the piston, ring(s), and cylinder, is by pulling the muffler, and doing a visual check carefully. Do you have spark? Did you check for spark? This is a low end Lowe’s trimmer sold for around $200 bucks or so. It is good you are trying to get it going, however, throwing parts at it without proper diagnosis is not the way to go about it.