Problem with Kobalt 210 electric cord Lawn mower

GardenHornetZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey everyone, I'm new here and I joined in hopes if someone may know what the best course of action for a problem I'm having with my Lawn Mower.

Its a Kobalt 210 which I purchased sometime in 2018 and had so far performed well on mowing the lawn until last week, when I noticed a burning smell come from within the motor lid. Following this video:

I took off the lid and noticed slight burn marks around the motor. I also tried to turn on the power but on doing so, a bright spark shooting off the motor, possibly a short circuit.

Here are large photos uploaded of the machine in question. I would appreciate any help I can get on how I can fix this and salvage the machine.

https://postimg.cc/k6cNDDDp]

]
20200526-200700.jpg
[/URL]

]
20200526-200714.jpg
[/URL]

]
20200526-200723.jpg
[/URL][/url]

MowerMike

Threads
I'm not quite sure what is wrong if anything. It works, correct ? It is normal to see sparks inside a brushed motor as the brushes rub against the rotor. As long as you keep the cover on it, there is no danger of fire or electric shock.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
LOL. That video makes me to never want an electric mower. Or a diesel generator. And the sparks from the brushes and the trapped grass under the bonnet could burn down a garage if conditions were just right.

MowerMike

Threads
LOL. That video makes me to never want an electric mower. Or a diesel generator. And the sparks from the brushes and the trapped grass under the bonnet could burn down a garage if conditions were just right.

Why would you run the mower inside the garage ?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Why would you run the mower inside the garage ?

You haven't seen my garage. ?

But I was thinking smoldering grass under the bonnet that later melted and ignited the plastic and so on.

MowerMike

Threads
You haven't seen my garage. ?

But I was thinking smoldering grass under the bonnet that later melted and ignited the plastic and so on.

If you look at the motor, the brushes are near the top and the grass is far away at the bottom sitting on top of the mower deck. It is a real stretch to think that any sparks created by the brushes rubbing against the rotor could ignite the grass. The housing is far more likely to catch fire from the heat generated by the motor. Anyways, I think the probability of the scenario that you describe is on the order of being struck by a meteor, possible but extremely unlikely.

GardenHornetZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did I mention, that the lawn mower shuts down after smoke erupts inside after a short distance of mowing grass.

dougmacm

Threads
The brushes could be shot, but good chance they are either not serviceable or not sold as spare parts by Kobalt. Owners manual states it has a 5 year warranty ...
… so maybe they will send you parts or a new motor at no charge if you have proof of purchase.

Kobalt also does not have an exploded view / parts list available online, or an email address so you need to call them:

For replacement parts, call our customer service department at 1-888-3KOBALT (1-888-356-2258), 8 a.m. - 8 p.m., EST, Monday - Friday.

Doug

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
If you look at the motor, the brushes are near the top and the grass is far away at the bottom sitting on top of the mower deck. It is a real stretch to think that any sparks created by the brushes rubbing against the rotor could ignite the grass. The housing is far more likely to catch fire from the heat generated by the motor. Anyways, I think the probability of the scenario that you describe is on the order of being struck by a meteor, possible but extremely unlikely.

yeah, plus, a GAS lawnmower is filled with GAS! And high voltage parts that SPARK! OMG!

A lady I work with lost her husband related to a lawn equipment fuel can incident/fire.

Any electrical or petroleum fueled device could be dangerous. Be careful.

"Safety Third" - Mike Rowe

MaryWenzelp

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you think it works right? I wish I could answer your question correctly, but I don't know much about it yet. I'm just about to go to electrical engineering school next year. My friend gave me this option https://www.electricianclasses.com/license-certification-requirements/. I'd love to hear from you: how much does electrical engineering help you in life? I'll study for my license for three years, then my apprenticeship will last another four years, and then I'll get my license. When people ask questions like yours, they go to professional electricians because amateurs can give the wrong advice and set your appliance on fire.

Last edited: