Power System Recommendation

romancm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at consolidating all of my tools into a battery operated system. I am currently looking at Milwaukee M18, Dewalt Flexvolt 60v, and Toro Flex-Force 60v. This is for a home with a 1/4 acre yard and nothing too special that is going on. Will mostly use the standard tools: trimmers, blowers, edger...

Do any of these systems stand out for value, quality, etc?

MowerMike

Threads
Well, first of all, what type of tools are you wanting to buy. If it’s a lawn mower, then Milwaukee doesn’t make them. Toro is the only brand that makes a dedicated blade edger. I know from experience that Dewalt is good quality, but a bit more expensive. If you want something that is bulletproof, then get Makita, but expect to spend a lot more. Ridgid also has a good reputation for quality. Avoid Black + Decker, Ryobi, as well as brands that you can’t buy in brick and mortar stores.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Well, first of all, what type of tools are you wanting to buy. If it’s a lawn mower, then Milwaukee doesn’t make them. Toro is the only brand that makes a dedicated blade edger. I know from experience that Dewalt is good quality, but a bit more expensive. If you want something that is bulletproof, then get Makita, but expect to spend a lot more. Ridgid also has a good reputation for quality. Avoid Black + Decker, Ryobi, as well as brands that you can’t buy in brick and mortar stores.

I have a Greenworks 60V dedicated edger. Kobalt has them in 40v and 80v I think.

Kobalt is an attractive way to go if you can find all the tools you want. Longer/easier warranty than Greenworks.... But Mike has much broader experience with other brands.

I will say, my GW stuff has been fairly solid. I just had to 'retire' one of my original 40V Gmax batteries, about 9 years after its manufacture date. Lots of interesting accessories for 40V too. I have the 40V tiller and it really works! It's a beast. I have around 1/3 acre. 1/4 acre you could get by with 3 batteries, maybe just 2 at the 60-80V level with a quick charger.

MowerMike

Threads
I have a Greenworks 60V dedicated edger. Kobalt has them in 40v and 80v I think.

Kobalt is an attractive way to go if you can find all the tools you want. Longer/easier warranty than Greenworks....

I was referring to choices among the brands listed by the OP, but yes, there are other brands that sell dedicated edgers. As to warranty, Greenworks 60V and 80V has recently improved to 4 years on both tools and batteries, so the Greenworks battery warranty is now longer than Kobalt.

Padroo

Threads
Like others have mentioned look at all the tools and attachments that each has to offer so you don't have a bunch of batteries laying around. The batteries are the key and they get expensive. I have put my Greenworks 40 and 80 volt products to the torture test on my 5 acres some clearing land.
I had an issue with my wife's 40 trimmer and I took it to a shop that does their repairs and they sent me a new trimmer, battery and charger free. I have at least 8 Greenworks battery powered tools.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I must say, the Ryobi 18V stuff I have is nice. I dunno if they have a lawnmower in the line but, My GW stuff and my Ryobi stuff covers just about anything I can imagine with 2 battery systems.