Poulan Pro PR4218 brand new won't start.

rossfrank

Threads
I have a brand new Poulan Pro PR4218 chain saw that I purchased 5 years ago and had it sitting on the shelf as a when needed replacement. Never put oil or fuel in it is as the factory sent it. Well when needed arrived. Fueled it and put oil in it. Little hard to start but it finally kicked over. Started cutting the tree and within 5 seconds it stalled. Kept trying to restart but the couple times it started it died within 2 seconds.
I thought that it might be that the factory puts gas in it to test it and then dumps it out. Possibly leaving enough gas in it for it to gum up after sitting for 5 years. I do not know if they even test 100%. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I know people say that Poulan is a cheap throw away but the previous Poulin's have lasted me 5 to 10 years.
Stumped in Ohio!!
Rosario

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has set that long I wouldn't be surprised if the fuel lines have dry rotted and have broken in the tank.

rossfrank

Threads
I'll take a look at the lines. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it sat that long and the fuel lines are good I’m guessing the pump diaphragm is dried out and needs to be replaced.

rossfrank

Threads
Thanks for help guys. Checked the gas lines and the diaphragm. All seemed to be OK. I ended up taking the carburetor off my old saw that has a whole different problem and got the new saw running. Thanks for the suggestions.
While I'm still here I'll ask about the other poulan PR4218. The clutch keeps unscrewing itself. Ever heard of this?
Thanks