Poulan PP4218AVX Chainsaw sudden no-start issue after weeks of regular use

shanker

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Poulan PP4218AVX Chainsaw sudden no-start issue after weeks of regular use
I've got a PP4218AVX chainsaw that was given to me by someone who was moving away. I took it apart, cleaned it, put new fuel lines, filter, and spark plug (NGK) on it (which was a PITA) and have been using it regularly at least once a week cleaning up brush at the ranch and it's been a great saw that even started Christmas Day when it was 20*. Last weekend I was trimming a tree, set the saw on my tailgate to move my truck, then 5 minutes later the saw wouldn't kick off. It acted like it had no-spark. I brought it home and found that it did have spark, so I took the carburetor apart and found a bit of debris in the screen in the carburetor so I went thru it and cleaned it up with still a no-start situation. I run VP 2-Stroke Oil with an added ounce of MMO in the fuel.

Not sure where to check next. All the YouTube video's and google search results have been very helpful. I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person, but at this point not starting isn't making sense to me.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
put some fuel mix in the spark plug hole and see if it will fire.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Pull the muffler and check for cylindler/ piston damage. When not properly tuned these saws will lean out and toast the PNC. Air head carburetors tune differently than other cubes. Plus using the saw when it was for much warmer air temp would cause it to lean out at 20 degree as the air is much denser.

You could also do compression test. If the starting compression is below 100 psi it is also toast.

shanker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pull the muffler and check for cylindler/ piston damage. When not properly tuned these saws will lean out and toast the PNC. Air head carburetors tune differently than other cubes. Plus using the saw when it was for much warmer air temp would cause it to lean out at 20 degree as the air is much denser.

You could also do compression test. If the starting compression is below 100 psi it is also toast.

I'm guessing it leaned out and smoked the piston, or at least that's what it looked like when I tore it apart...all the scoring was on the exhaust side and the ring was stuck there. at least a replacement kit is cheap on Amazon.

shanker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got the replacement cylinder kit from Amazon installed today and it kicked right off. I'm going to run a bit more 2 stroke oil to get between 25:1 and 32:1 (I'm tempted to switch over to Stihl or Echo oil now)

I haven't adjusted the carb yet, but is there a way to specifically increase the fuel, or just go about tuning it like any other 2 stroke weed eater?