Poulan 22 inch lawnmower issue

olderthandirt

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone. I have an old poulan Pro lawnmower with large rear wheels. I am having an issue starting the mower. It will not start unless I squirt some engine start fluid into the carb. I watched a video on the same problem that showed that the choke plate was staying open when not running and stayed open when trying to start. It showed the choke mechanism was sticking in the open position when idle, so I checked my mower and sure enough, it is staying open when not running.

I can't figure out why it is staying open. there are only two things attached to the choke plate works on top of the carb. 1. a rod that goes back towards the flywheel and a spring that is connected to the rod and attached to a point in front of the carb. (see attached pic) When the engine is not running this spring pulls the choke plate open.

I have attached a photo of what the outside of the carb looks like and how the two parts (rod and spring) are connected.

Can someone help me here?

Attachments

• 20230327_101345.jpg
    20230327_101345.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 4

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is not the choke that is the throttle plate and will be wide open when not running because the governor controls the position when running. that carb doesn't have a choke. You should have a primer button on the air cleaner backing plate. Reinstall with a new gasket and while looking into the choke press the primer and see if gas squirts up from the bottom of the carb from the tube in the center.