Poor mulching using, Honda, HRC216HXA mower

eomckamey

Threads
1. When I use the mulching option (Honda Plug inserted etc.), I find that the mower cuts normally.
2. However, when mowing, once awhile, I note discharged clumps of cut grass behind my path.
3. When looking beneath mower deck, I see grass couple inches thick, sticking to most all of the underside of deck.
4. I have checked correct blade positioning, sharpened etc. (Not a cutting problem).
5. I have checked trans. oil level...aok
6. Checked adjustment (removing screw & cover over trans....aligning marks as specified.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this mulching problem and a possible cure?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or you need a new high-lift blade.
For mulching? Most mulchers are standard to low lift. Like Gators for example. Most high lift is for bagging. Unless I missed something. Highly possible LOL.

I agree with ILEngine on the wet grass deal.

Remember, if you are trying to have a nice looking lawn, mulching just spreads weed seeds all over your yard. If you are just cutting grass, get a side slinger chute.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Oh wait I thought the OP was saying when they mulch it cuts fine, but when they bag the grass they get clumps.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
For mulching? Most mulchers are standard to low lift. Like Gators for example. Most high lift is for bagging. Unless I missed something. Highly possible LOL.

I agree with ILEngine on the wet grass deal.

Remember, if you are trying to have a nice looking lawn, mulching just spreads weed seeds all over your yard. If you are just cutting grass, get a side slinger chute.
If it has an exit chute cover with spring on it now, install an exit chute and problem is solved. Many of the “newer” mowers 15 years or newer do not have an exit chute cover and can only mulch. The cut quality suffers as a result. Some people love mulching in general, I am not a fan.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
This Honda mower is mulch or bag only. It has a dual blade setup.
The grass clumping is caused by the grass being to wet, too tall, or both.