Pool of gas under the air filter

Beltway Lawn Care

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got a question concerning my Kohler 7000 22hp. It is in a 46" Redmax riding mower with a little over 90 hours. The motor has worked flawlessly so far but something very odd happened the other day and now will not start. The mower ran out of gas while I was mowing so I filled it back up. Tried to start on 1st of 2nd try. Gave it some choke and still would not start. Usually starts 1st try and definitely by the second. I might of been a little frustrated and kept trying. I started to make a different sound then nothing. Wouldn't even turn over. Just clicks. I then stopped of course and then heard a odd gurgling sound. Followed the sound to the air filter cover, removed the cover and the filter to find a pool of gas and a small hole next to the larger hole when the air enters the carb spitting up gas intermittently. Like there was a gurgling and spewing. At that point I pretty much deduced that somehow the engine cylinders were probably filled with gas. I took it to a local shop and left it there. The owner didn't get into any possible explanations as to what may of occurred but said the engine in terms of the internal components were probably fine.

I decided to join this forum because I am looking to get into lawn care and am going to need to get familiar with these engines. Is there any ideas as to what could of caused the carb to have filled gas like that? Only thing that comes to mind is a stuck float. I experienced that once with an old old tiller and had all kinds of gunk in it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Carb needle and seat maybe? That is what I would check. Works like a toilet water tank at your house. Low water the arm opens to lets water in the tank. Arm rises and shuts off water at a determined level.

This is an easy fix. New parts should be cheap if needed to fix. I would pressure test the carb with 7psi for 30 minutes minimum. Flip the carb over and test it out. Youtube has some good videos.

Last edited:

Beltway Lawn Care

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carb needle and seat maybe? That is what I would check. Works like a toilet water tank at your house. Low water the arm opens to lets water in the tank. Arm rises and shuts off water at a determined level.

This is an easy fix. New parts should be cheap if needed to fix. I would pressure test the carb with 7psi for 30 minutes minimum. Flip the carb over and test it out. Youtube has some good videos.
Thanks, I will look into it. I am awaiting what the local shop says and will post what fixed it.

Zipdaddy33

Forum Newbie
Threads
I thought you were going to dive in and get your nipples wet?
Sooo, what was the fix?! I had the same problem, and the crankcase was filled with gasoline, and cylinders, too!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sooo, what was the fix?! I had the same problem, and the crankcase was filled with gasoline, and cylinders, too!
Carb needle needs cleaned or replaced.

Use an inline fuel shut off valve when not mowing. Saves the oil sump from getting filled with gas. On to mow, off to stow.

1685055357771.png

Last edited:

Zipdaddy33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Carb needle needs cleaned or replaced.

Use an inline fuel shut off valve when not mowing. Saves the oil sump from getting filled with gas. On to mow, off to stow.
I have the gas shut off valve, guess I'll start using it. Carb is brand new as is fuel pump. I'm airing out the oil sump over night and will check carb in the morning.