Please help me name this part and tell me if its fixable

turbozeke418

Threads
  • / Please help me name this part and tell me if its fixable
The puller I used to pull off my flywheel went to far down the shaft and stripped it out. Now I can't attach the flywheel back to the engine. I don't know what the part is where its stripped and I have no clue how to fix it if its even possible. I've attached a pic so you can see where I'm actually talking about. It's the part that leads directly down to the main spindle. It's either a 16.5 or 18.5 horse Briggs and Stratton from a Sears Craftsman LT2000.

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 67

slammed

Threads
:shocked:That is your crank shaft :thumbdown:NO fixin it replace it :mur:

chance123

Threads
As I posted in your other thread "OUCH". In the past I have repaired a crank by getting a carbide drill bit and drilling to accept a threadsert. ("NOT" a helicoil)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have to replace the crankshaft. By your post I strongly suggest you seek a qualified reair shop.

turbozeke418

Threads
I might as well throw the towel in. I'll just go buy one on craig's list and have a buddy weld it in the future. Thanks for the info!

chance123

Threads
Weld it? Why ruin "another" crank? Besides that, your crank and bolt are hardened steel and the flywheel is cast iron. The only way to correctly weld to cast iron, is to heat the entire flywheel to almost white hot, weld it and allow it to cool VERY slowly to avoid cracking. This would destroy the seal beneath the flywheel.

turbozeke418

Threads
I bought another mower so I'm not pressed for time to fix this one now. I'm just not investing $$ into it. I'm looking for the easiest cheapest way to get it fixed and running.

Bison

Threads
I would get the next size tap(either metric fine or standard fine tread) that comes closest to the bore ID without having to drill it out and just tap new tread in it.
I don't think these crank stubs are hardened cause i machined one down last year in my lathe without difficulty.
If you can file it you can tap it

turbozeke418

Threads
I'll give it a shot!! Thanks!