Picking up a 52xx? Help me guess the model#

Rudedog

Threads
I am going to look at and pick up what I am guessing what may be a 52xx. Guy wants a cold 18 pack of Natural Ice for it. Here are the cruddy pics. He claims it starts but is "Real old". I am guessing that this has a "D" engine.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0241.JPG
    IMG_0241.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Fireman 123

Threads
I'd def grab on to that one. Yeah it's a D 400 series engine. Mid to late 60's model. A collector's piece restored for sure. Good luck with it.

Rudedog

Threads
I got it. Model #5236. It's in rough shape. Does have compression and spark. Cost me an 18 pack of Natural Ice.

attachment.php

I will have pics and further details tomorrow. We are throwing a Mothers Day party for my wife today since she and I worked on Sunday. I think that tinkering with a Lawn-Boy would make me wildly unpopular during this event.

Attachments

• CCI05142012_00000 (Medium).bmp
    1.7 MB · Views: 42

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
You got a real bargain for $10. :thumbsup:

And I might add that beer is apparently much cheaper in MD than it is here in GA -- almost certainly due to tax differences. :laughing:

I looked up model 5236 and it was made only in 1968. In my experience, anything made before 1970 is pretty hard to find at a reasonable price.

Rudedog

Threads
You got a real bargain for $10. :thumbsup:

And I might add that beer is apparently much cheaper in MD than it is here in GA -- almost certainly due to tax differences. :laughing:

I looked up model 5236 and it was made only in 1968. In my experience, anything made before 1970 is pretty hard to find at a reasonable price.

Thanks! We'll see when I go through it a little more thoroughly tomorrow. I will report with pics.

Rudedog

Threads
Well ..... here's the bad. Several cracks in the deck. Wheels all need replacing.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0055 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0055 (Small).JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0053 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0053 (Small).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0052 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0052 (Small).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0051 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0051 (Small).JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0050 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0050 (Small).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 28

Rudedog

Threads
Now for the good. The guy I bought it from could not start it. I went through it this morning after reading the online service manual. I took a look at the plug and it was garbage. I installed a new Champion CJ14. I turned the carburetor adjustment knob clockwise until seated and then counter clockwise 2 complete turns to open the needle. I turned the on/off switch to "on". Opened the fuel valve and pulled the starter cord and it just ran like a brand new mower. Man does it sound strong. I have not pulled the muffler and checked the P/C yet but it definitely needs at least a new lower crank seal. The motor does not smoke in the least. I am using Stihl ultra synthetic 50:1. The air cleaner material appears to be pretty good but I need the air cleaner itself. The one that's on there does not appear to be original.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0054 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0054 (Small).JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0056 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0056 (Small).JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 28

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It's too bad about the cracks in the deck but the mower could be just fine for years to come without fixing those -- I wouldn't try unless a particular crack looks structural.

The worn wheels are typical of old LBs. :biggrin:

It's great that it runs well. That's also typical of LBs. :thumbsup:

You did indeed get a bargain for $10.

Rudedog

Threads
It's too bad about the cracks in the deck but the mower could be just fine for years to come without fixing those -- I wouldn't try unless a particular crack looks structural.

The worn wheels are typical of old LBs. :biggrin:

It's great that it runs well. That's also typical of LBs. :thumbsup:

You did indeed get a bargain for $10.

I believe you are right. I am probably going to put a new bowl gasket on the carb (leaks) and I already changed out the fuel line with 1/4 Tygon. I freed up the frozen wheel, cleaned out the muffler and took it over and cut my neighbors 200 sq. foot front yard. Pretty sweet. I am going to try and see if I can get some better wheels from a junker. I am also wondering if I should plan on doing the lower crank seal to make sure I don't have an air leak.