Export thread

Perhaps one of my easier fixes

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

A guy brought in a briggs storm responder, fairly new. He Put a new amazob carburetor on it because it wouldnt start after sitting, and still wouldn't... he messed with the valves and they were Zero tolerance, which was the cause of no compression. Adjusted the valves per spec, got compression. Still no start, would barely chug on starting fluid, i then noticed the throttle was not sitting at wide open with the engine off, and the governor link was bound and couldnt move. He didnt have the governor/throttle link installed right in the slot and hole it goes in on the throttle shaft. Reinstalled that properly and the storm responder roared to life on the first pull. Ran it for a little over an hour with load and it didn't miss a beat.

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

A guy brought in a briggs storm responder, fairly new. He Put a new amazob carburetor on it because it wouldnt start after sitting, and still wouldn't... he messed with the valves and they were Zero tolerance, which was the cause of no compression. Adjusted the valves per spec, got compression. Still no start, would barely chug on starting fluid, i then noticed the throttle was not sitting at wide open with the engine off, and the governor link was bound and couldnt move. He didnt have the governor/throttle link installed right in the slot and hole it goes in on the throttle shaft. Reinstalled that properly and the storm responder roared to life on the first pull. Ran it for a little over an hour with load and it didn't miss a beat.
So customer screwed up the valves, carburetor linkage, and should have kept and cleaned OEM carburetor. Other than that he did great, ha!

H

hlw49

Got one in the other day that a guy jump the seat switch with a scotch lock. Said the brake switch was new but not opertaing. He even pulled it out and was holding it out by hand. So the engine would run. Guess what he caused the problem you can't jump the seat switch like that on this mower. Put every thing back like it should have been and every thing worked. LOL

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

And this is why i always let equipment sit for day and retest...
Fired the gen up today, it has a noticeable flutter/hiccup unloaded.... apply a load and it evens out, or without a load, if i take the air filter off, the flutter goes away and the RPMs pick up a little bit. In short, runs good with no air filter
I added fresh fuel, i have good consistent flow, cleaned the carburetor out to be sure, float is sitting level, tried a different spark plug, rechecked my valve lash cold. All good.... i dont have any un used new air filters that fit it, but i robbed some off other equipment that is running good, no change... as soon as i put the filter in place, even with no air box, just the filter, the flutter/hiccup returns.
25T232-0009-G1

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Found a brand new air filter, no change..
I did try something, fired it up, and i shut the fuel valve off... after about 10 seconds of running, the generator RPM picked up a little, and the hiccup went away. opened the fuel valve, and the rpms lowered slightly and the hiccup returned, closed the fuel valve again and after a few seconds, engine evened out and ran good. repeated this process several time with the same results.... thinking this china carb is on the rich side......

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

When you finish the generator I will let you have this one. Replaced carb and gas tank, replaced voltage regulator, weld broken frame, rebuild starter generator, replaced starter solenoid, Compress_20240605_104855_5830.jpgreplaced ignition, PTO and light switches. Free up stuck throttle and choke cables. Repair a whole bunch of fried and hacked up wiring. Can't test hydraulics till I get the engine running.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well i believe the generator is back to operational... I was able to identify the carburetor that the owner put on it, looks like the 799773 just without the Afterfire solenoid... Which was used on the 25T232 engines, just not on the 0009 type. 0009 type code brought up the 592929 carb, went to my local authorized briggs dealer and they had it. Looks like your typical Ruixing/Honda carburetor. Runs like a top now. Ill do another 24hr sit and retest and see what she says.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

When you finish the generator I will let you have this one. Replaced carb and gas tank, replaced voltage regulator, weld broken frame, rebuild starter generator, replaced starter solenoid, View attachment 68863replaced ignition, PTO and light switches. Free up stuck throttle and choke cables. Repair a whole bunch of fried and hacked up wiring. Can't test hydraulics till I get the engine running.
Just whack it with a hammer

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Just whack it with a hammer
Guy is going to try and sell it at a show in July. He brought it to me and said "I think it just needs the carb cleaned and a voltage regulator" I hope he gets good money for it. He is already at $600 and I haven't even got the engine started yet. Hitting it with a hammer may be next.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

If that doesnt work, hit the customer with a hammer.🤣

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If that doesnt work, hit the customer with a hammer.🤣
👍