Peerless 205 Transmission - what bolt format?

Alchad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi from the UK,

I've go an old ride on with a peerless 205 hydrostatic transmission. It started getting slow and despite changing the hydrostatic fluid things didnt improve so |I decided to strip it down. (I know from web research that they are supposed not to be repairable but I decided to take a look).

I discovered that one of the bolts holding a "bearing cap" had lost it's head, but fortunately hadn't done any damage because the head had got trapped in a small depression in the casing. I started trying to check what size the bolt was and the micrometer says it's 0.315 inch and according to my thread gauge 18 tpi, which suggests it's 5/16 unc, but I cannot get a 5/16 unc nut onto any of the 3 remaining other bolts, they get about 3 or 4 turns then seize up. According to the thread charts I've looked at the only other similar option is a 5/16" BSW, but I can't believe an American company would use such an old fashioned thread size.

Just wondered if anyone knew what thread format was used in these transmissions, or if no direct knowledge what other USA thread forms the bolts could be.

Thanks

Alan C

Attachments

• IMG_5984.jpg
    IMG_5984.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 9

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any markings on the bolt head? That may indicate a SAE or metric thread type.

Alchad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Any markings on the bolt head? That may indicate a SAE or metric thread type.

Only this...which could be a Tecumseh logo??

Attachments

• IMG_6035.jpg
    IMG_6035.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 10

upupandaway

Threads
Can't you remove the bolt that didn't snap and find and take that to the HW store?
Make sure to get a grade 5 bolt so your replacement doesn't snap again.

Richie F

Threads
Go to post #3 on this thread.