Parasitic current

Geochurchi

Threads
Hi All, B&S. Vangard , battery drains over night, 2.29 Amps of parasitic voltage, after much TS. I removed the positive lead to the alternator which cleared up that load, alternator is putting out 13.5 VDC , replaced the Regulator/Rectifier with one from another engine, same results, I should mention that the engine runs on for about 5 seconds +- after the ignition switch is turned off, it runs a hydraulic pump so no blades etc. are still spinning.
Any thoughts?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Which of the 1000 different Vanguard engines do you have. model number would help us a lot. that way we can see what engine you have to give more directed advice.

enigma-2

Threads
I'd be suspecting the ignition switch. Be like leaving the switch in the "on" position when it's turned off.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The engine running for 5 or so extra seconds means that the keyswitch/kill circuit isn't working, as it is shut down by the fuel solenoid. So your problem may be related to that problem {the keyswitch area}

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you recently replaced the keyswitch? Is there any corrosion on the keyswitch?

Geochurchi

Threads
Hi Guys, just a update on this problem, engine run on was due to the fact the ground connection to the coils was broken off , repaired and all is well, anti backfire solenoid is working, as stated previously this engine is running a hydraulic pump that drives a small locomotive, the alternator on the B&S , regulator/ rectifier, are functioning fine, there is an additional 1 wire alternator in parallel to provide more power to drive the other accessories.
yesterday I had the new battery load tested,OK , installed the fully charged battery retested for any current leak and all was fine, will see how things go this AM.

enigma-2

Threads
Glad you found the problem, but I'm confused. How does a broken ground to (is it both coils?) cause a parasite draw? Why did the engine run on for 5 seconds and then stop? A broken ground would keep it from shutting off completely. Wouldn't it?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Glad you found the problem, but I'm confused. How does a broken ground to (is it both coils?) cause a parasite draw? Why did the engine run on for 5 seconds and then stop? A broken ground would keep it from shutting off completely. Wouldn't it?
The fuel solenoid on the carb allows it to run for a few seconds until the fuel burns off.

Geochurchi

Threads
The broken ground is a separate issue, that was causing the engine to run on, nothing to do with the parasitic current.
Geo ??