Over heating lawn mower

markham3rd

Forum Newbie
Threads
While mowing the other day I observed "smoke" coming out from underneath my Craftsman top cover. I immediately turned off the engine and it was sizzling hot to the touch everywhere. I could hear something (oil?) boiling inside the engine. I let it sit overnight to cool and for me to think about my next step. The next day I checked the dipstick and the oil level was 1/8 th of an inch. I filled it up with oil, raised the wheel height for more air cooling, checked the air filter (it had been dirty), and cleaned out the under carriage so the blade could turn easily. With much trepidation I started it up. No explosion! I began mowing watching carefully for signs of overheating and it appeared to be fine. Finished up the yard and when I stopped I could see some light smoke coming out from the cover area but not nearly as bad as before. But it was still fairly hot. Could it be the oil burning off parts or should I expect this from now on due to seal breakage?? I'll check oil each time I mow ( I use Delo400 30W). I have heard one should use non-ethanol, higher octane gas in small engines. All comments are welcomed! Thank you.

WhyZed

Threads
You could pull the shroud off & see if the cooling fins are blocked up with something (grass trimmins, mouse nest, etc.).

Keeping the oil topped-up, underdeck clear, air filter clean, muffler clear etc is pretty important for every-use maintenance items too..

markham3rd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, WhyZed - your mention of the muffler was quite helpful because I had been thinking that round metal canister on the side might be the carburetor! Of course, it's a muffler because the exhaust exits from there. Thanks a lot.

WhyZed

Threads
Glad I could help - don't underestimate the need to keep the cylinder and cylinder head cooling fins clear. A couple/4 screws hold the shroud on most mowers, and if the smoke was coming from under there, best to take a quick peak :thumbsup:

LawnDawg84

Threads
Sounds like the motor has seen better days? Lot of Hours? Old? Valves wore out? Funny burnt popcorn smell? Could mean new motor soon...