Out front mower purchase - kubota, husky, iseki

Kerniki

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi and thanks for the add ?

We have about 30 acres, 5 of which i have been managing with an old iseki sf303 out front for the last 8 years and i love it as its been very loyal and reliable but its comfort (2006) is abysmal as its lofty (tall) So lots of lateral throwing around and the seat has zero absorption (never mind air it doesnt seem to even have springs!)

so its time to invest, so far ive tested a ferris zero with their suspension to see if that format worked better, love the comfort but dont like the arms to steer or its lack of traction on wetter days so i’m leaning back toward a frontal mower again and i’ve tested new iseki sf with an air seat and thats much better, i have a kubota f2890 arriving thursday for a demo but ive also seen a Husqvarna p525 with the kubota engine and articulated chassis (father had a smaller version which I quite liked)

has anyone got experience on these machines with maybe some opinions or got any links to independent tests on them for comparison? I cant find any online..

or any other suggestion for other formats to look at, my concern with out front mowers which i can get away from is the height and how that plays out with our quite uneven surface and how it’ll fubbar my back over the next 10 years, i certainly cant carry on the way i have been.

budget isnt as important as getting the right thing tbh.

sorry for intense post but ive been trying to sort for a while and i’m struggling a bit as im not in the profession / know.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads

beddy85

Threads
I have no experience with the front mowers that you have mentioned, however I have owned and spent several hrs on a jd 1420 4x4 front mount with an air ride seat. I will give my opinion as I feel the 1420 compares similarly to the kubota and the iseki in a way. While under ownership of the jd I demoed the following ztrs- jd,exmark,gravely, hustler, husguvarna,bobcat,kubota, and ferris. I also demoed the following front mount mowers- grasshopper and walker. All those machines were commercial mowers and the models were comparable in category for the most part. My opinion is that if you are just strictly mowing lawn there is nothing out there more comfortable than a ferris is3200 or isx3300. I know you said you didnt like the traction when it was wet but if it were me I'd put hdap tires or something with more grip on as they are far better than stock. I also know you said you wanted to stick with a steering wheel, I firmly believe that if you spent enough time on a ztr with levers that you would never want to go back to a wheel after getting use to it. The levers are so much more comfortable for most because you are not slouching over or anything to hold onto them as you would a steering wheel. The ztrs are so much faster as far as mowing/turning than a front mount steering wheel machine, add that with full suspension on the ferris you should really be able to cut down on mowing time. Now with all that being said, I ended up going with a front mount grasshopper due to the fact that i can run a snowblower and other attachments on it. My grasshopper has the grammar suspension seat and rides better than every other mower I demoed except the ferris. Again this is my opinion and hopefully you can take something away from it, but if it were me and i was looking for something strictly for mowing lawn my number 1 choice would by far be the ferris. If you strictly wanted a front mount I would highly recommend a 900 series grasshopper, yes it has levers but has a much lower center of gravity compared to the steering wheel front mounts, and is also very very comfortable.