other find during winterizing

Ida-Boy

Threads
The past 2 mowing season I have noticed an increasing amount of clipping being left behind on the opposite end of the deck from the vac system. At the end of every season I try to clean and prepare the deck for the coming mowing season. I have known that the deck was in need of some work but I was not ready for this.

deck 1.JPG

deck 2.JPG

deck 3.JPG

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
You may want to use some Rustoleum or similar before installing new deck piece. Depending on cost & is it worth it or not, take both pieces to welding shop, technical school, & see if they can repair worn out deck piece then you or they can prime & paint with several coats. Some Technical schools may perform this labor free & use it as a learning experience for their students.

Sounds like you've got it covered, good deal!

Last edited:

Ida-Boy

Threads
You may want to use some Rustoleum or similar before installing new deck piece. Depending on cost & is it worth it or not, take both pieces to welding shop, technical school, & see if they can repair worn out deck piece then you or they can prime & paint with several coats. Some Technical schools may perform this labor free & use it as a learning experience for their students.

The deck itself is still very solid. This is just a piece that goes up into the deck to help create a cyclonic action to expel grass clipping out the chute.

I have already cleaned the area in question, by scraping then using a needle scalier, wiped the area with OSPHO then applied a good coating of paint. I have a spray can of this Flex Steel and was thinking of spraying both the deck front area area were the air foil goes up and the air foil itself. Its hard to explain but with the deck flipped up and this piece installed, it slips up towards the top or front of the deck, but leaves a void between it and the deck. Once assembled that void between the front area of the deck and this air foil is where debris gets caught. I would like to fill that area but don't want to use anything that will absorb moisture. I am thinking this spray foam I found that says it does not absorb moisture may fill that void. Just not done doing my research, but if the original lasted 18 mowing seasons, I most likely won't be around in another 18 seasons to worry about doing this all again.