Opinions please

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

You have two apples, one orange and one peach here(definitely not apples-to-apples)...the Toro MX5060(or a better match the Toro Titan MX5480) is comparable to the Gravely ZT HD which are both high-end Residential ZTR's, but the Dixon DX254 is a fully Commercial ZTR and the Pro-Turn(base Pro-Turn) is an entry-level Commercial ZTR. You would need to compare the Dixon DX254 to a Gravely Pro-Turn 200XDZ(the 252 is close with a 52" deck) and in the Toro lineup it would compare to a Toro Z-Master 3000 series(again, closest would be a 52" deck). The Gravely base Pro-Turn 52 would need to be compared to the Dixon Ultra52(or maybe the DX152) and in the Toro lineup the Z-Master 2000 series. You have to be careful comparing high-end Residential ZTR's(with a few Commercial grade components) to either entry-level or fully Commercial ZTR's. If I were to pick the best ZTR just based upon what you listed, the Dixon would win hands down because of it being a full-blown Commercial ZTR where the others are not. In fact, I almost pulled the trigger on a Dixon DX152 myself in 2012, but the Gravely Pro-Turn 152(they did not offer the base Pro-Turn in 2012 as it was introduced in 2013) was a better deal. Hope this helps!!

pcclipper

Threads
Thanks
I need to figure out which are apples, oranges, peaches, plumbs, nectarines. grapefruit and tangerines.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks
I need to figure out which are apples, oranges, peaches, plumbs, nectarines. grapefruit and tangerines.

Yeah, there are sooooo many good ZTR's on the market now that you have to try to be sure you are comparing similar machines across brands. Best rule of thumb is if there is more than a $500 or so price difference(the regular MSRP for any two ZTR's) they are probably apples and oranges. If they have similar trannies, same deck size & gauge and engine hp they are usually a good comparison. Of course you'll find a few with ZT-3100(considered entry-level Commercial trannies) where another has the ZT-2800(high-end residential "serviceable" trannies). Same with decks with 10gauge usually being on the high-end Residentials and 7gauge on the Commercials. For engines, Kawasaki's are considered the most reliable and durable on the small engine market but they come in FR series(Residential), FS series(Heavy Duty) and FX series(Commercial). Also, a full suspension seat is VERY nice to have on a ZTR because they ride a bit rougher than a lawn tractor. There's a LOT to consider when shopping for these machines and your head will probably be spinning with specs like mine was:0)
Take your time, look at & demo several and ask questions on the forums. You'll find the one that's just right for your needs and in your targeted budget. BTW, all of the machines you listed are decent ZTR's you just need to narrow it down to the one that has what's important to you on it and is a good deal.

Last edited:

Vanousb

Threads
Djdicetn that is a great overview and good advice.