Export thread

Onan CYL2 heats up much quicker

skippymud

skippymud

Hello All

1988 Onan P220G Opposed Twin. S/N unknown. MFR date is stamped on the flyball cover. Electronic ignition. Awesome beast of an engine

I got this engine as a POS on Craigslist and rebuilt it from ground-up

End result of my build is that CYL 2 runs much hotter than CYL 1 by anywhere from 70F to 100F. The temp difference is more extreme just after start-up and for the next 6 minutes or so at idle. Beyond that timeline, the levels L-R level out a bit but still uneven by 40-50F, all of which is unnerving for me

I bought oversized rings for CYL 2 from OnanParts in hopes that I could close the ring gap to 0.003-0.008in per spec but that didn't work. Gap remains at about 0.013. So I put it back together and hoped for the best. The heat ratio on CYL2 vs CYL1 remains a mystery

What could be the causes of CYL 2 heating up?

Attachments

S

slomo

How are you checking the temp? What is being used?

S

slomo

They are not going to be 100% the same temp. Especially when both cyls have different compression and blowby for example. Valves might not be sealing 100% and many other factors. Sounds as cyl 2 is getting less fuel than 1. Leaner is meaner was the old wordage. Intake ports are not identical.

skippymud

skippymud

Hi slomo. I am using an Infrared Thermometer. Even if it is not reading the exact temp, the differential is still accurate of course

skippymud

skippymud

They are not going to be 100% the same temp. Especially when both cyls have different compression and blowby for example. Valves might not be sealing 100% and many other factors. Sounds as cyl 2 is getting less fuel than 1. Leaner is meaner was the old wordage. Intake ports are not identical.
Good point. I will check that the valves are seating properly

S

slomo

There is not one engine out there that multiple cyls run at the same temp. Go scan a V-8 and report back. And those mostly are injected supposed to be spraying the same volume of fuel and so on. Casting thicknesses and many more.......

skippymud

skippymud

There is not one engine out there that multiple cyls run at the same temp. Go scan a V-8 and report back. And those mostly are injected supposed to be spraying the same volume of fuel and so on. Casting thicknesses and many more.......
I hear ya, slomo, and have considered the countless variables. Though an 80-100F variation seemed a bit excessive to me on a 782cc engine. The fact that you are saying this is normal, I will sleep much better LOL! Thanks again! - Ken

S

slomo

Don't think it's normal but we need some word to talk about it. Some carbs have 2 different main jet sizes. Like the ol' Nikki Six carbs I think that fit twin engines. You might have Chinese plugs or one not firing 100%. Many many variables.

Does your carb have two different main jet sizes?

S

slomo

Again the same with V-8's. One fuel pump and 8 injectors all rated the same fuel volume. Every cyl will have a different air/fuel ratio.

skippymud

skippymud

Don't think it's normal but we need some word to talk about it. Some carbs have 2 different main jet sizes. Like the ol' Nikki Six carbs I think that fit twin engines. You might have Chinese plugs or one not firing 100%. Many many variables.

Does your carb have two different main jet sizes?
Hi slomo. I believe it has just one main jet. See pics. Plugs are Champion RS14YC

Attachments