Export thread

Older Walker - Kohler 16hp replacement

L

lawncoaz

I have an older Walker GHS in great condition, my only issue is my engine is shot! Everyone in the Walker World are telling me that I cannot find a replacement engine or resurfaced heads for that particular Kohler 16. Is there an after market dealer anyone is aware of? Or an inner-changeable engine that would mount on that model?

R

Rivets

Please post the model, spec and serial numbers for you Kohler engine. Can't give you any help without them.

L

lawncoaz

The motor is still in the mower so a serial number could be impossible to get but I do have a spec number. 711562 I hopt that helps

R

Rivets

All numbers should be on a visible decal on the engine. No need the remove the engine to. Get the numbers.

L

lawncoaz

The decals there but the numbers are gone. I have nothing but that spec number. Its a single valve Kohler Magnum 16. That's the only decal with lettering still good. That's all I can offer. I even called the Walker Dealer in Mesa and they wouldn't give me much help other than the spec number for that model.

R

Rivets

The only way I could figure out what engine you have is to see some pictures of the engine and the decal. Kohler makes a lot of different 16hp engines. If you have the Walker numbers, you could contact them, as they should have the numbers for the original engine.

V

veld

Please post the model, spec and serial numbers for you Kohler engine. Can't give you any help without them.

I also have an older Walker mower with a 16 hp Kohler Magnum engine Model # M16AQS, SPEC # 711562, Serial#2608900899

Do you know the correct replacement for this and where available, $?

Thanks!

R

Rivets

The best way to find a replacement engine (Magnum is no longer available) is to contact a dealer who sells the brand of engine you would like to use. Kohler, Kawasaki, Briggs etc. The dealer can find you a replacement faster and easier.

C

cashman

Another option might be to see if Kohler still offers a short block and a carburetor for the 711562 spec? Those were real popular and some might still be around? I think maybe at one time Walker had a Kawasaki engine replacement kit for the M16S Kohler. Check with a Walker dealer.

V

veld

Another option might be to see if Kohler still offers a short block and a carburetor for the 711562 spec? Those were real popular and some might still be around? I think maybe at one time Walker had a Kawasaki engine replacement kit for the M16S Kohler. Check with a Walker dealer.

Dealers weren't helpful so I contacted Walker Tech's directly who told me replacements weren't available anymore and that substituting an alternate Kohler or other brand requires significant chassis changes which they advised against.

So I did a tear down of what I have and found the short block is OK. I ordered all the parts for a complete rebuild (crank, cam, piston, rod etc.). I'm expecting delivery of the back ordered parts from PartsTree tomorrow and hope that will do the trick.