Older snow removal attachment for Craftsman tillers

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Older snow removal attachment for Craftsman tillers
I bet few people have ever seen one of these...it's the pictures from the installation instructions for a Craftsman accessory kit sold for their tillers back about 1984. The tines on the tiller are removed along with the depth stake on the back, and the wheels/tires installed on the tine shaft using the same hardware that attaches the tines. The blade assembly bracket bolts to the underside of the tine shield, and the yokes of the blade push arm fit over bushings installed on the tine shaft. I purchased one for my 6 hp tiller back then, it did well at pushing up to 8 inches of dry snow. I still have the blade kit, but the tires were fitted to my snowblower along with the wheels.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 14

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is just too cool!

Betcha it'd be a pain to use.

I was always wondering: What kind of attachments were available for the MTD built two stage snowthrowers? (white, ariens, craftsman, etc.) The snowblower piece comes right off with 4 bolts, like it was meant to be interchanged with another attachment......

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is just too cool!

Betcha it'd be a pain to use.

I was always wondering: What kind of attachments were available for the MTD built two stage snowthrowers? (white, ariens, craftsman, etc.) The snowblower piece comes right off with 4 bolts, like it was meant to be interchanged with another attachment......

To be honest, it was easy to move around, you would leave the tiller transport wheels on and raise them a little, to turn all you had to do was push down on the handles and when the transport wheels hit the ground you could pivot the whole thing around without much more work than a big two stage blower required. My oldest 2 stage blower is a Craftsman '89 vintage but I never saw or was aware of any attachment for it. You may be referring to the high end rear tine tillers like the BCS or Troy Bilt that had snowblower attachments.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD -

No, I was referring to the kind that are in the pic that has my son in it. Both are identical....and made by MTD. Most snowblowers are made by them, the colors and names just change.

I had heard that ariens offered attachments.......gotta do a google on it.....

They do (or, did), there is a lawn vac, a front mower, and others. Tried to post a pic, but it wanted to link to a website. Just google "ariens snowblower attachments", and click on images

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
JD -

No, I was referring to the kind that are in the pic that has my son in it. Both are identical....and made by MTD. Most snowblowers are made by them, the colors and names just change.

I had heard that ariens offered attachments.......gotta do a google on it.....

They do (or, did), there is a lawn vac, a front mower, and others. Tried to post a pic, but it wanted to link to a website. Just google "ariens snowblower attachments", and click on images

I did a Google search myself...learned something about those machines...interesting concept, using one engine to power multiple yard tools. Makes sense to me. My Craftsman 2 stage blower is an '89 model but it probably has less than 120 running hours on it now. One thing, though...do you know if those Ariens made to fit attachments on use an AIR FILTER on the carb? I don't think I have ever seen a snow thrower fitted with an air filter, but if you were using one to power attachments in the warmer weather, it seems like the engine would need to have one for protection against airborne grit.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did a Google search myself...learned something about those machines...interesting concept, using one engine to power multiple yard tools. Makes sense to me. My Craftsman 2 stage blower is an '89 model but it probably has less than 120 running hours on it now. One thing, though...do you know if those Ariens made to fit attachments on use an AIR FILTER on the carb? I don't think I have ever seen a snow thrower fitted with an air filter, but if you were using one to power attachments in the warmer weather, it seems like the engine would need to have one for protection against airborne grit.

Says on the snowblower heater box "Replace airbox with filter assembly when using summer attachments" That's why I wondered in the first place. My 2 year old White says that, too.

I'd just never seen or heard of these attachments.