Older Grasshopper with Transmission leak

Yard Slave

Threads
Hello,

I recently purchased a Grasshopper 720K SN451974. I have the grass catcher and a blower. The left side transmission leaks out a seal and when utilizing the machine the left and right do not respond equally. I just bought new turf tires so I can utilize chains for snow removal. I decided to explore the transmission issue and noticed that the 2 drive belts that run the transmissions have sludgy grime on them and it appears some linkages do not have tightened lock nuts. The motor seems to run strong. I took off the belts but have yet to pick up a replacement set. When the machine is parked a noticeable puddle of oil forms. I think that replacing the belts and possibly the linkages might get me better performance. I also just picked up 5 gallons of Mobil DTE10 Excel 100 (formerly Mobil DTE 18M). I am the type of person that likes to keep my equipment tuned up. I do not have enormous funds burning holes in my pockets and feel that I am now pretty deep into this machine and need to keep it running on my residential 2 acres. So long as the snow is not slush it blows it with ease. It cuts the grass and picks it and leaves up easily. The machine is in a running state (after I put the belts back on) and I would not want to totally tear it down to find specific hydro gear numbers if they are even on the transmissions. The dealer that has a history of working on the machine for the previous owner gave me the grasshopper part numbers for the transmissions. Left 391206 Right 391207. He quoted me a price of approx $1700 per transmission plus 5.5 hours labor @ $75 per hour plus tax. He said replacing 2 vs one would only add a little labor cost. Someone online told me that I need a hydro gear number not a grasshopper number so I can get the correct replacement for less. I would like to know if anyone could help me find replacement transmissions, and a complete rebuild kit for both transmissions, and a service manual if one exists. I am mechanical and have a history of fixing machines. If kits are available and people feel that the transmissions are rebuild-able I would consider doing so if the savings justified the work.

Any help or info on this machine is appreciated!
Thanks

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Grasshopper forum. :smile:

BWH

Threads
I may be late you most likely have changed your belts but I wanted to tell of my experience in that process, when I changed my belts I accidently found that the left side belt tensioner was kind of gummed up and was not keeping good tension allowing the belt to slip. This was a neoprene bushing that actually had rust build up from the steel stud it slid over, a little emery cloth and two new bushings made the machine noticeably more responsive.

6gunn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wondered if you found any info on your trans leak?
I have a '96 721D that has developed a trans leak on the RT side. I talked to the dealer about this and they were talking about replacing a seal and maybe the shaft and bearings. They didn't say anything about replacing the trans.