Old Murray trans-axle help

l--Zed--l

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok gays and gals newbie here with a bunch of questions. I picked up an old Murray rider model 42704X8B MFG date 95115-089830 and this thing needs some love. I've been slowly bringing it back to life and I've reached the trans-axle which is leaking from most likely the split in the case but for sure the out put shaft seals. I know I can split the case and replace the seals and reseal the case no prob, but I cant seem to find the seals. I assume I need more info off the case itself for success correct? Also what type of fluid is used and how do I go about checking the current level? The whole trans-axle is covered in fluid so I'm sure it has to be low and I have no clue how long its been leaking. Thanks for all the help I hope I get!

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Also some of the early Peerless unit had a metal tag that was in a slot on the side of the tranny, and is held in place by the two halves together.

l--Zed--l

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked the tranny over quickly this morning and didn't see any way to identify it. Is it possible it could be on the top of the unit? Would some good photos help indentify it?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I looked the tranny over quickly this morning and didn't see any way to identify it. Is it possible it could be on the top of the unit? Would some good photos help indentify it?

Possibly anywhere on trans, but peerless is usually in a conspicuous area, may be covered with dirt or washed/worn off, it couldn't hurt to post pics and see .....