Oil ?

jeffnang

Threads
What other than 20w50 would work in a pinch to top off my hydro tank.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
20W-50 motor oil is the only pinch!! I know that it is not common oil, I have to buy it at my local Scag dealer or special order a case of 12 Qts at an auto parts dealer.

jeffnang

Threads
Just got back from wal-mart and picked up 2 qts. Gonna hit it early in the morning.

Simple guy

Threads
is 20w-50 motorcycle oil the same? That the only 20w-50 I could find.

dnewton3

Threads
Genearlly, in a hydraulic system such as these, it's not unheard of to mix oils of sliglhty different viscosities in a pinch, if a top off is needed. Any decent 15w-40 HDEO (diesel oil) would do fine. While sticking to the correct grade is always a good thing, in this case, it's not detrimental to shift one grade down. The shift in viscosity isn't going to be damaging to the pumps or motors. Large drops in visocity can negatively affect things, but a small shift in grade means nothing in this case.

I run 15w-40 in my Scag hydro, and have for years done so. For me, it is a matter of convenience as I have diesel and other equipment around. No problems whatsoever with performance or temps. Today's diesel oils are VERY robust, have good base stock and additive packages. If you shop around, you can find many brand names that you'd recognize, on sale at times. I would not hestitate to run the typical house brand oils from a good name such as Autozone, Napa, Supertech, etc. They have shown excellent service and good performance in UOAs. I personally have Coastal brand in mine at the moment; the oil was on sale at AAP when I needed it. And on the plus side, the 15w-40 will pump a little easier than 20w-50, giving a slight fuel economy edge over the long term.

Nothing wrong wtih sticking to the OEM spec, but in this case, it's not a "must absolutely do" for equipment lifecycle.

I will note, that under warranty period, I'd stick to OEM recommended fluid specs, simply for the sake of warranty validation. But after than, realize that 15-w-40 is a viable, inexpensive, widely available option that will serve well and no detriment.