Export thread

Oil coming out fuel pump

O

Olrecker

Thanks for reading. I have a JD LA105 with a 19.5 single cylinder OHV. Replaced the head gasket, common cause, the mower starts and runs great but after a minute or two it starts bleeding oil out the fuel pump and breather tube. Wispy smoke when I pull the dip stick too. I adjusted the valves after the head gasket, took the fly wheel off and checked the valve which looked fine but there was no hole for oil to return to the crankcase. I am hesitant to tear it down for rings because it runs great otherwise. The mower has 180hrs. Anything else that can build pressure like that? Oil is slightly low from having come out and no fuel smell

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The head gasket is blown. Seen it blow oil out of the fuel pump a few times.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Ditto, blown head gasket, although, sometimes i see that wispy smoke on engines with good head gaskets, specifically briggs vtwins. Anyway, I'm not sure that that engine is supposed to have a fuel pump, usually those singles dont.

I

ILENGINE

Ditto, blown head gasket, although, sometimes i see that wispy smoke on engines with good head gaskets, specifically briggs vtwins. Anyway, I'm not sure that that engine is supposed to have a fuel pump, usually those singles dont.
Some of the Intek singles have a fuel pump. It is located on the left rear corner of the engine and powered by a pulse line coming off of the dipstick tube.

O

Olrecker

I agree, i did replace the head gasket and it was blown but I still am having the issue. I changed the fuel/pulse lines to the fuel pump and checked the breather but I still have crankcase pressure evident from the fuel pump leaking oil and the breather blowing off the air intake, especially under load but after cooling down it fires right up and takes a few minutes to build pressure.

Again, I did pull the flywheel and checked the breather valve too. In my mind I am thinking something else is contributing to the increased pressure like exhaust but I checked that too

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

A leakdown test would tell you more.
If the head was warped the new gasket could have failed on startup. Does it start right up but blows a puff of smoke the runs fine with no smoke? A slightly blown head gasket on that engine will do that.

I

ILENGINE

I agree, i did replace the head gasket and it was blown but I still am having the issue. I changed the fuel/pulse lines to the fuel pump and checked the breather but I still have crankcase pressure evident from the fuel pump leaking oil and the breather blowing off the air intake, especially under load but after cooling down it fires right up and takes a few minutes to build pressure.

Again, I did pull the flywheel and checked the breather valve too. In my mind I am thinking something else is contributing to the increased pressure like exhaust but I checked that too
With the breather hose blowing off of the air intake makes me wonder if the orifice in the air intake is clogged. Some of those engine in were the breather hose connects to the air cleaner elbow has a dome shaped insert that presses into the air intake and which the breather hose actually presses over to hold it in place. Sometimes when the breather hose comes off the orifice will come out with the Hose. If for some reason the hole in that dome insert is plugged would also cause your issues.

O

Olrecker

With the breather hose blowing off of the air intake makes me wonder if the orifice in the air intake is clogged. Some of those engine in were the breather hose connects to the air cleaner elbow has a dome shaped insert that presses into the air intake and which the breather hose actually presses over to hold it in place. Sometimes when the breather hose comes off the orifice will come out with the Hose. If for some reason the hole in that dome insert is plugged would also cause your issues.
I like that idea. I checked the reed valve on the engine but didnt look close at the air filter housing. The hose was blowing off the housing and I put a hose clamp on it (stupid). I have similar engines for parts. Thanks! I will let you know. I find it odd that it run so good but still has the pressure issue. What’s the likely hood that it run great with worn rings or warped head? Never did a leak down test and I was fixing it for a neighbor. At first it was a mouse nest packrd in the shroud and a chewed coil. Then it was a valve adjustment, new oil, filters. Started up good and ran so I gave it back. Then he said it was doing the oil thing and smoking, so I changed the head gasket and re adjusted the valves. That’s the backstory

O

Olrecker

If the head was warped the new gasket could have failed on startup. Does it start right up but blows a puff of smoke the runs fine with no smoke? A slightly blown head gasket on that engine will do that.
No smoke until it runs for a bit and I engage the PTO

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

How fast does fresh oil turn black? A blown head gasket will turn oil black in a couple of hours of running.

O

Olrecker

No smoke until it runs for a bit and I engage the PTO
How fast does fresh oil turn black? A blown head gasket will turn oil black in a couple of hours of running.
it was black before changing the head gasket but beautiful light gold since but it hasnt been run more than 5-10 minutes at a time since because it was exhibiting the original symptoms (making a mess). Part of me thought a dead mouse in exhaust clogging it up but then it wouldn’t run well. I am missing something. It runs great through high speed to idle, starts quick and runs smooth…even when oil starts coming out of the fuel pump. It does not like having the pto on, it runs but soon smokes

I

ILENGINE

Starting to sound like the head gasket is starting to, or has failed again.

O

Olrecker

I checked the breather to the airbox and I see that small hole but I blew through it and it was clear. I may be at the point of having them take it to a shop. Too much for my time. I would be more inspired if it was my own but I take care of my stuff. Usually just belts and oil and stuff.

If you have any additional ideas out side of another head gasket which would probably be futile without out another head.

I was trying to post pics of the head off but they were too big.

O

Olrecker

I checked the breather to the airbox and I see that small hole but I blew through it and it was clear. I may be at the point of having them take it to a shop. Too much for my time. I would be more inspired if it was my own but I take care of my stuff. Usually just belts and oil and stuff.

If you have any additional ideas out side of another head gasket which would probably be futile without out another head.

I was rude and didn’t thank you all for the timely replies. I apologize. Thank you!!

How swapable are the heads if I have another similar 19.5 briggs?

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If you take the head off you can put in on a piece of glas with some high grit sandpaper like 600 and hold it flat and swirl it in a figure 8 for about 30 seconds and see if it is warped by the scratch pattern on the head. I sand heads flat if they are warped.

S

slomo

If you take the head off you can put in on a piece of glas with some high grit sandpaper like 600 and hold it flat and swirl it in a figure 8 for about 30 seconds and see if it is warped by the scratch pattern on the head. I sand heads flat if they are warped.
I take some 150 grit on the garage door window. Let the PAPER DO ALL THE WORK. Lap the head and block where the gaskets sits. You will quickly see your head, like every one I've done is warped. Little 400 grit to polish her off. Rotate the head while lapping. Use your OPEN FINGERS while making swirling motions. You don't need to push hard at all.

O

Olrecker

That is a great tip. Thank you.

The one I am working on is a LA105 and the one I was going harvest off of is LA110

A

Auto Doc's

Thanks for reading. I have a JD LA105 with a 19.5 single cylinder OHV. Replaced the head gasket, common cause, the mower starts and runs great but after a minute or two it starts bleeding oil out the fuel pump and breather tube. Wispy smoke when I pull the dip stick too. I adjusted the valves after the head gasket, took the fly wheel off and checked the valve which looked fine but there was no hole for oil to return to the crankcase. I am hesitant to tear it down for rings because it runs great otherwise. The mower has 180hrs. Anything else that can build pressure like that? Oil is slightly low from having come out and no fuel smell
Pull the head back off and get some 220-grit wet/dry sandpaper and a very good true flat surface like a tempered glass panel. Lay the paper on the flat surface and hold it. Place the gasket surface of the head on the sandpaper and slowly scrub it around to sand the gasket surface. Look at the gasket surface and you will see the results of high and low spots.

Sand it until it is nice and level all across. The old head gasket should be fine unless it lost some face material, if so, replace it. Reinstall the head and torque the bolts down equally in three steps to spec. Button it back up and adjust everything and run it to see if problem is resolved.

The next possible issue is the crank case breather has failed. It is rare, but it can happen.

O

Olrecker

I take some 150 grit on the garage door window. Let the PAPER DO ALL THE WORK. Lap the head and block where the gaskets sits. You will quickly see your head, like every one I've done is warped. Little 400 grit to polish her off. Rotate the head while lapping. Use your OPEN FINGERS while making swirling motions. You don't need to push hard at all.
Well the neighbor came and said to keep the tractor but took the bagger off it. I guess I feel less conscious of pulling the head again and trying the sand paper. If I messed it up I would have been guilty but now if I fix it I can let him know and get paid for my time. I didn’t want to charge him if he’s giving the tractor