Now I"m stumped

ifjeepmademowers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a 1989 spn19 lawn boy. I literally dug it out of the trash a few years ago, because it disgusted me seeing it die like that. I took it apart, replaced the broken pieces and put it back together, I've used it for 2 years and it's been amazing. Until this week. The throttle cable broke and I took one off my parts mower and put on it. While I had the carb off I figured I'd make sure it was clean. Well, everything was fine, looked good and so on. So I put it back together and fired it up.

Here's the problem. It's running very very high. Perhaps 2-3 times the rpms as before, and turning down the speed just kills it. It's like the governor isn't working. I reattached everything like I thought it was, but perhaps I'm wrong. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I"m lost, very... very lost.

Fireman 123

Threads
If you took the air vane governor apart, the spring might be out of adjustment, or may have come loose from the throttle linkage causing the high RPMs. There's a thumbwheel below the vane that you can adjust the gov by turning clockwise to increase or counter to decrease. You will hear a click as you turn it. Hope this will help you, and kudos for saving a good machine from the scrap yard. Good luck.

ifjeepmademowers

Forum Newbie
Threads
Lol, ok, so I figured it out. I'm only posting my stupidity in case anyone ever lands here in google years down the road. A priactice we should all do.

So heres what happened. theres a slot for the long plastic piece on the governor. I didn't get it seated properly and it was stuck wide open.

I took the carb off my parts mower, cleaned it and made it new and put it on. It got hung up too but I caught it this time. It's running like brand new now though. One of the cool things, is the new carb has a primer. A feature my old one lacked.